Can You Have Both XP and 2k on One PC?

November 28, 2004 2:52:21 AM

Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?

Thank you very much

More about : question

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:29:20 PM

On 28/11/2004 mike wrote:

> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows
> XP? If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing
> Windows XP?
>
> Thank you very much

Yes, that works fine.

Usual rule is to install oldest OS first, then when you install the
later OS it will set up a menu for you so you can select which OS to
boot.

It is much better to install each OS on its own partition, in fact I
would regard this as compulsory. W2K and XP use some common folder
names and will over-write each other's files if you install them on the
same partition - with 'unpredictable' results (i.e. a complete mess!).

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK