YOU MIGHT HAVE A BAD MOTHERBOARD!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
According to IEEE Spectrum Online there are a bunch of motherboards going bad thanks to faulty capacitors that burst and leak their electrolyte solution.

ABIT officially recognizes the problem, as does IBM. However those are far from the only companies affected. According to IEEE Spectrum Online others affected are: Micro-Star International, ASUSTek Computer, Gigabyte Technology, <b>and others</b>. However this bunch is all so far denying any actual problems.

Read more about it at <A HREF="http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html" target="_new">IEEE Spectrum Online</A>.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

RobD

Champion
...king hell! This is going to run and run. Credit to Abit for doing the honourable thing and acknowledging there is a problem. Hope the rest follow their lead.

I suppose the real question now is just how big an effect this going to have? Every board produced during 2002? Or one batch? Smacks of the whole Fujitsu shitefest...

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
SP, this is what I've been talking about for the past 2 months.

But, it only really takes hold of you with the right combination. It's all the power supply components for the AGP cards that cause the majority of the problems. There are other problems, as well, but the AGP is the one you'll notice across the spectrum.

And the Gigabyte boards have an enormous return rate right now, I might add. Be leary.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that was me. Well, <A HREF="http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=article&articleId=CA255062&title=Search+Results&publication=e-insite&webzine=e-insite" target="_new">Here's a link to the original article</A> that happened several months after I blew the lid off this last spring at another site. Carry was one of the guys I refered this author to. The author and I talked over the phone and I promised to send him some samples, but didn't, as I was too POOR to pay overnight postage. He was a little miffed and barely made mention of me in the article. Then again, maybe it's better if I stay under the radar :smile:

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>