I am getting an new computer soon and had some questions about upgrading some
of it's components. I would like to replace the graphics card and the sound
card with newer models but I have heard that this may cause problems with
Windows XP. Will I need to buy a new copy of Windows to use my graphics card
or can I simply replace both devices like I have with previous Windows OS's?
Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? I also eventually
would like to add more RAM as well and will this cause any problems? Any help
would be appreciative.

BlackFrost76 wrote:
> I am getting an new computer soon and had some questions about upgrading some
> of it's components. I would like to replace the graphics card and the sound
> card with newer models but I have heard that this may cause problems with
> Windows XP. Will I need to buy a new copy of Windows to use my graphics card
> or can I simply replace both devices like I have with previous Windows OS's?
> Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? I also eventually
> would like to add more RAM as well and will this cause any problems? Any help
> would be appreciative.

You shouldn't have any problems with the anticipated upgrades. You
certainly won't have to buy a new license for WinXP; I can't even
imagine where that idea came from.

I would recommend that you perform one upgrade at a time, however, and
make sure each new device and its drivers are functioning properly
before moving on to the next device. Sometimes things can get
"confused" when trying to install device drivers for multiple components
simultaneously.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

If you are getting a NEW computer, it would make sense to
buy the upgrades with the new computer in order to get the
best prices. Most computer companies do have a method for
you to specify upgrades when you place your order.
When it comes time to upgrade the new computer, it is
possible that several years will have passed. Past designs
change and new OS will be available, but you will be able to
upgrade components. Only the graphics card is likely to
trigger any problems with product activation. Sound and RAM
are minor changes.

"BlackFrost76" <BlackFrost76@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
|I am getting an new computer soon and had some questions
about upgrading some
| of it's components. I would like to replace the graphics
card and the sound
| card with newer models but I have heard that this may
cause problems with
| Windows XP. Will I need to buy a new copy of Windows to
use my graphics card
| or can I simply replace both devices like I have with
previous Windows OS's?
| Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? I
also eventually
| would like to add more RAM as well and will this cause any
problems? Any help
| would be appreciative.

Hi

Please have a look at the following article by Alex Nichol with regard to
Activation/Re-Activation:

"Windows Product Activation (WPA)"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

--