Folders are all "Read Only"

I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders into
the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to get them that
way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so they are not "Read
Only"?
Thank you,
Bob

To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

Right click on any folder-> properties

there is readonly button

Take care with this - many folders in xp are set this way

Patrick

"Bob Havens" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders into
> the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to get them that
> way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so they are not "Read
> Only"?
> Thank you,
> Bob
>

> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

Thank you Patrick. But when I change them they go right back to Read Only
the next time I open them. Should I check "Apply to this folder only" or
"Apply to all folders and sub folders" ???
Bob

Patrick wrote:
> Right click on any folder-> properties
>
> there is readonly button
>
> Take care with this - many folders in xp are set this way
>
> Patrick
>
> "Bob Havens" wrote:
>
>> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders
>> into the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to
>> get them that way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so
>> they are not "Read Only"?
>> Thank you,
>> Bob
>>

>> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

Read-only means absolutely nothing in regards to folders.

[[Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
and other programs.]]

Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B326549

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:u4GarzX1EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Bob Havens <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Patrick. But when I change them they go right back to Read
> Only the next time I open them. Should I check "Apply to this folder
> only" or "Apply to all folders and sub folders" ???
> Bob
>
> Patrick wrote:
>> Right click on any folder-> properties
>>
>> there is readonly button
>>
>> Take care with this - many folders in xp are set this way
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> "Bob Havens" wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders
>>> into the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to
>>> get them that way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so
>>> they are not "Read Only"?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Bob
>>>

>>> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

Hi Bob

The read only attribute does not affect the files in those folders.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Bob Havens" <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders into
>the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to get them that
>way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so they are not "Read
> Only"?
> Thank you,
> Bob
>

> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

I went over the MS article on "Read Only" and I think I may have not stated
my problem correctly. It is true that all my FOLDERS are Read Only. I am
talking about folders that I created. Most of my folders contain word pad
files and image files. When I change the text in one of the FILES within a
FOLDER and click "save" I get a "save as" window. The changed text should
simply be saved with no other window opening.

The problem is that all of my FILES contained in the FOLDERS are also read
only. I can go into the properties for each individual FILE and unckeck
Read Only. I can then change the text within that file and SAVE the change
without bringing up the "SAVE AS" window so all is as it should be for that
individual file.

I guess my question now is: Is there any way that I can get all of my FILES
that I created out of the Read Only mode without going into the properties
of each individual file? I have a lot of files on my computer and it would
be quite a task to change each one.

I have no idea how my files got to be read only. They were not created as
Read Only. I just noticed this since I installed SP-2. Could it have had
anything to do with it?

Thank you,
Bob

> I went over the MS article on "Read Only" and I think I may have not
> stated my problem correctly. It is true that all my FOLDERS are Read
> Only. I am talking about folders that I created. Most of my folders
> contain word pad files and image files. When I change the text in
> one of the FILES within a FOLDER and click "save" I get a "save as"
> window. The changed text should simply be saved with no other window
> opening.
>
> The problem is that all of my FILES contained in the FOLDERS are also
> read only. I can go into the properties for each individual FILE and
> unckeck Read Only. I can then change the text within that file and
> SAVE the change without bringing up the "SAVE AS" window so all is as
> it should be for that individual file.
>
> I guess my question now is: Is there any way that I can get all of my
> FILES that I created out of the Read Only mode without going into the
> properties of each individual file? I have a lot of files on my
> computer and it would be quite a task to change each one.
>
> I have no idea how my files got to be read only. They were not
> created as Read Only. I just noticed this since I installed SP-2.
> Could it have had anything to do with it?
>
> Thank you,
> Bob
>
> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Bob
>>
>> The read only attribute does not affect the files in those folders.
>>

>> "Bob Havens" <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message
>>> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. Some how I got all my folders
>>> into the "Read Only" mode. I do not know what I clicked or did to
>>> get them that way. Is there any way I can get them all changed so
>>> they are not "Read Only"?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Bob
>>>

>>> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

Select one of the files in the folder without opening it.
Press Ctrl-A to Select All.
Right click any of them and uncheck Read Only.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks Frank
It worked and I have all my files back the way I want them.
Bob

> Thanks Frank
> It worked and I have all my files back the way I want them.
> Bob

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Bob

Slightly different to the OP. Frank has come up trumps again. Glad your
problem is solved.