MS IntelliMouse Optical Good or Bad???

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've made a kickass system to do all the latest and greatest. I also run some 3d games, Quake 3, in particular. I get pretty frustrated when I have to clean my mouse every day just to get accurate control. How can I rack up the frags when i can't aim??? I'm looking into a MS IntelliMouse Optical.

Does anyone know how good they are? How accurate they are? Are they good for intense 3D gaming? Help!!!

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they are ok , but can be a pain in the ass to install , and you SHOULD still use a mouse pad , if not well , it'll probly jump around unless you have the perfect desk top surface for reflection.
1 through 10 intellimouse = 7
jaxon

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
had the same problem as you- dang mouse would clog all the time and it would suck- I got the ms optical and i couldn't be happier! The movement is SO smooth- like silk. I do still use a mousepad, because it didn't work very well with my glass-topped desk. BTW, if you're playing Quake, be sure to get the Optical Explorer version- it comes with extra programmable buttons on the side that are really helpful with zoom, jump, sidestep, etc.- it will be a few more bucks, but well worth it!! Also, I had no installation probs, it was pretty straightforward.

Wherever you go, there you are.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I used to play a lot of Q3; I grew out of it :wink: . Now I play a lot of Counter-Strike. I have a MS Intellimouse Explorer, and love it. It works great -- extremely accurate and fairly high sampling rate. I would definitely recommend it.

G

If you are a gamer then you must have a Razor Boomslang mouse, apparently they take a little getting used to, but are great for gamers

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have to disagree with the Razor Boomslang recommendation.

They are expensive. Their high sampling rate can be obtained much cheaper using an optical mouse or even with a PS/2 mouse and a nifty little freeware program called PS2 rate. The buttons are far too sensitive. The shape is difficult to adjust too. And they are downright ugly.

G

I had poor luck with the MS Optical mouse. On my wood desktop or my 3M mousepad it would skip exactly like a dirty mouse ball. Actually, MORE than a dirty mouse ball. It was terribly annoying and I ended up selling it and went back to a "regular" mouse.

G

I play games on the internet blah blah blah...I went through 4 cheap mice in a year...thats abount £70 or £80 quids worth... My Microsoft optical is the best mouse ive had there are no instalation problems.....It'll work without you having to install the proper drivers in Win9x. Most important of all is that it will last you ages and ages. Ball mouses are dead, long live the revolution...pity its made by microsoft...logitec are too expensive where i live do'h.

Whats all this about square pegs and round holes?

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mine will jump around a bit every once and a while. Also sometimes it likes to take off diagonally towards the bottom right when you move it, but other then that no really problems. When I first got it, Win2k had a problem detecting it at startup, but when it was warm booted it was fine. Another note for good or bad, mine will always glow in the back whether the machine is turned on or not. It can be cool to look at in the dark or annoying as hell, personal prefferance.

If its tourist season, why can't we shot them? :lol:

G

No problems with installation.

I have to make a comment about some of this stuff about mouse pads. When I first used the mouse I had a problem with the pad, the mouse basically wouldn't track. It wasn't the pad, it was the colour of the pad. It was a black 3M pad.

I don't think it is the surface that affects the mouse, I think it is the colour of the surface, or the amount of contrast? The mouse works fine on all other pads/surfaces I have tried.

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I say screw the MS mouse... Get the Logitech MouseMan Wheel Optical mouse instead! I went through debating wich of the two to get myself and just picked up my Logitech today. I thought the buttons on the MS optical were too squishy and click too easly; trying it out in the store I had menus and crap popping up all over the place just trying to move the damn thing! The Logitech Optical is much more ergonomically designed, glides smooth, and the buttons are much more solid. The only other difference is that the MS has one more button (5 i think?) than the Logitech which has 4... but if you ask me, the extra buttons on the MS are a little awrkward to get to anyways. That's my 2 cents, hope I've helped! :)

- Brian

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which MS one are you refering too? I got the explorer with both buttons on one side. I admit that the smaller one up front is a bitch to hit, but the other one is nice for a web browser back button.

If its tourist season, why can't we shoot them? :lol:

G

I have a intellimouse optical and love it for playing counter-strike. It's accurate and fast....and I have never had a skip. The two extra buttons are a god send...I use the left one for reload and the right one to take a picture (since I do that a lot). You will definitely like it!

Jason

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually besides the fact that optical mouse is cool and they do not require cleaning, I still prefer ol' ball mouse. They work in any surface that optical does, and sometimes it works in surfaces optical <i>can't</i> work. Take the glass surface for example.

------------------
This site is cool.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i have the intel opticall mouse and i love it, exspecial the extar buttons. i hate it when i go use the computers at school beacuse it takes me a lot longer to get around then i've got use to

plus the fact that i was about to kill my ball mouse becuase ihad to keep cleaning it and even that didn't always fix the problem. I still use a mouse pad under it becuase the mouse moves better with plastic coating on the pad.