Lets Solve This Dual DDR Epidemic!!!

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Can we PLEASE, collectively as a forum, solve the eternal burning question to do with:

<b>which slots on the Asus A7N8X motherboard do I put my two ram modules in to acheive and utilize dual ddr?</b>

It is frustating to see everyday come on here and beg for this answer.. where do i put it where do i put it?!? I have heard so many different answers on this topic from so many different posters, new and old, that my head is spinning. I would REALLY love to know the correct, not rumored answer on this. i am going to keep posting this thread until as a community, we figure it out.

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
From what i understand right now, you put the 2 modules in the 2 blue slots. This is also what is listed in halkebuls official a7n8x thread. i didn't pay 750 $ canadian for two twin-x corsair pc 3200 dimms to not be able to use them to their full ability.

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

RCPilot

Champion
I'd add also, how much real performance is gained by dual DDR over single. Forget what the benches say. I've built them both ways for people & couldn't see any difference in the boot or anything with dual DDR. I didn't have them long enough to do some real benches myself with either configuration. Enlighten me.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
THE BLUE SLOTS, PEOPLE!!!
One module = no dual
Two modules in blue slots (OR in slot 1 and 3) = Dual
Three modules = no dual
Dual showed no real difference for me than single.

I sure hope you're planning to do some major FSB overclocking. If not, you certainly paid 750$CA for nothing.

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I just want to add something. READ THE F'N MANUAL BEFORE YOU POST STUPID QUESTIONS. THE MANUAL SPECIFICALLY SAYS WHICH SLOTS TO POST IT IN.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
The heck you yelling at me for :mad:
I'm not the one asking

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I agree that the memory issue has been nagging for too long. It's logical to assume that the blue slots are correct but I have switched them out every which way and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable change in the preformance. I'm going to upgrade my version of Sandra and check the benchmarks. You'd think that Asus would have their stuff together on this one.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Running the "G" bios (no problems yet)
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
2x 256m crucial ram

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Mr. Fiasko....

One thing - no question on here is stupid. What is stupid is the ignorance of people such as you that come across and insult others for trying to clear up a popular issue. How was that a stupid question? I have seen it asked on here at least 2 times a day. If it was that stupid of a topic, I am sure that it wouldnt appear in droves. Are you calling all of us stupid? And just for your information, I did read "the f'n manual." It seemed unclear and vague. Watch your tongue. Anyways - to move on. Yes, tech_geek, I agree with you, I think asus should have made this issue much more clear and concise. i also agree that this problem has plagued many of us for wayyyy too long. I am assuming that the two blue slots are dual ddr enabled. If dual ddr was enabled on slots 1 and 3 as some people say, why in hell didn't they put those two slots blue????? This makes no sense to me!!!!! If they wanted 1 and 3 slots to be special, they would have made it known by coloring those slots blue.

So to get to my original point - we still have made no headroom in this issue - the two blue slots, or slot 1 and 3,

WHICH IS IT?

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
If I remember correctly from my work experince in a computer store, you put one module in each blue slot for dual mode. However, if you are using Corsair XMS modules, you may need to borrow a normal DDR to get the system to post, then set the memory timings to "agressive". For some reason XMS modules don't boot otherwise. This may have been fixed in a bios update since I looked at the issues, but that's what I remember being a problem with the board.

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I have two xms modules in the blue slots and the system boots fine, although I had to get another mobo from newegg RMA-ed to do so. As for your question Trixta, it seems only logical that the slots Asus would color similarily are the ones they intended to be used with dual ddr. I haven't spoken to Asus about it so don't quote me on this, but, in my opinion, it's the blue slots.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.