Device filter driver Error Message

I am trying to install an Iomega external hard drive on my XP desktop system
and keep getting the message that it can't be installed because the filter
driver is invalid. This is a PNP device and I successfully installed it on
a Win2000 machine. No drivers are provided with the device itself so there
must be some standard drivers on my XP system that are corrupted or
nonexistent.

Any suggestions?

With the drive plugged in,R.click my computer,properties,open device mgr.,
see what errors and/or codes it brings up,then close-out,then go to control-
panel,ADM.,open,then open event viewer,see what errors/warnings are present
for the device,if you click on the url,it'll open help/support in
xp,usually with a
answer or a fix.Other than that,in device mgr.,R.click on the usb controller,
then select update driver,SP1 includes drivers for usb,figuring thats how
the
drive is connected.

"JKanvik" wrote:

> I am trying to install an Iomega external hard drive on my XP desktop system
> and keep getting the message that it can't be installed because the filter
> driver is invalid. This is a PNP device and I successfully installed it on
> a Win2000 machine. No drivers are provided with the device itself so there
> must be some standard drivers on my XP system that are corrupted or
> nonexistent.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with Lexar and Sandisk thumb drives. In the case
of the Lexar drive, I can ignore the warnings and use the drive; in the case
of the Sandisk, it will read the file list, but when asked to open the file,
says there's no disk in the drive. I've tried the fix offered by Andrew, and
the event viewer doesn't acknowledge there was an event. Trying the "update
driver" button in hardware manager just leads to the same message.