Sign in with
Your question

Its time to put EA to sleep.

Last response: in Video Games
September 23, 2008 2:04:14 AM

EA responds to all the legitimate buyers of Spore's DRM through threats of banning them to the point where they can't even play the game they bought if they even mention the DRM in any form of way on the official forums.

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page

This is unacceptable. This can not be allowed to be the future of gaming whether it be PC or Console (because you know someday consoles will be effected too). This behavior from people who rely on us the gamers is trying to be a Nazi to us? Screw that. They rely on us not the other way around.

The worst part of it isn't just that they want to censor us but on top of it the threat only pertains to the people would bought the game. They are literally threatening the legitimate customers the people who have the most rights to speak against ANYTHING that the game contains including the DRM. Where will it end? Will any expressed criticism of EA or any games from them lead to your account being banned and forcing you to buy the games all over? Seems like that's where its heading.

EA can go to hell. Their questionable business tactics can go to hell. Their monopoly on the gaming industry can go to hell and most important their sales can go to hell.

I purpose from here on out that we boycott all EA titles whether developed or even just published by them. Its time for consumer rights and its time to start a gamers rights alliance stopping actions such as EA's recent behavior and any unfair DRM by informing and spreading the gospel of a better tomorrow for all gamers. Individually we are weak but together we can move any mountain and slay any giant. If we stop the cash flow either EA submits and gives into our reasonable demands or they slowly bankrupt themselves from releasing game after game that will result in such bad sales they won't even come near to making a profit.

Here is a list of developers owned by EA to specifically avoid however I am sure the list is longer then this.

BioWare
DICE
Pandemic
Black Box
Maxis
Phenomic
Criterion
Mythic
EA Sports

Your intro to your games told us to "challenge everything" and now its time to challenge you EA.

-NuclearShadow

More about : time put sleep

September 23, 2008 2:47:42 AM

my bro just bought madden '09 =[

boycotting their games will be hard as it is, i mean yeah, drm, screw that i won't buy those games

but for console, no drm, no problem...
September 23, 2008 4:02:26 AM

Truly, if EA can force people to stop playing PC games they can make a great deal more money on consoles - as that is where people will turn to instead.

You can cry about EA this DRM that all you want - but it wouldn't exist if the majority of people actually bought the godamn games, they didn't impliment the DRM for no bloody reason whether its a misguided way of thinking or not.
Related resources
September 23, 2008 4:52:55 AM

ovaltineplease said:
Truly, if EA can force people to stop playing PC games they can make a great deal more money on consoles - as that is where people will turn to instead.

You can cry about EA this DRM that all you want - but it wouldn't exist if the majority of people actually bought the godamn games, they didn't impliment the DRM for no bloody reason whether its a misguided way of thinking or not.

I'm sure I could give a inch if the DRM actually did something. However Spore was cracked and fully working before it was even put on the shelves. So whats the DRM good for now and why punish people who speak against it as clearly the only people who are effected by it are people like myself who actually bought the game. I don't know if you read my whole post or not but they are now banning people from the forums and the game itself if you dare even mention the DRM on the official forums.
September 23, 2008 5:30:58 AM

Yup, I read the post and I read the spore forum post.

There is something you need to understand, which you refuse to - it is very, very, very easy to pirate software which doesn't use some form of DRM and get full features - typically with a hacked game you can't get updates/technical support whatsoever, but most of these DRM games require valid copies in order to receive support.

I really don't think EA gives a sod whether we buy their PC games or not - because PC games are a waste of money in comparison to consoles, because consoles are nowhere near as difficult to code for because of standardization, therefore they are much more lucrative.

I know this is restating in my previous post, but if every single PC gamer stopped playing games on PC period - then most mainstream game developers would likely be a lot more successful, because as is it doesn't pay to make PC games really.
September 23, 2008 6:34:57 AM

That is a load of bunk.

Valve shows us that is a load of bunk. Stardock shows us that is a load of bunk. Blizzard shows us that is a load of bunk.

There is a ton of money to be made in the PC game market. There might be more to be made in consoles at the moment, but that doesn't mean that PCs are not incredibly profitable if you approach the business right.

I will take the philosophy of banning the DRM but EA is huge and includes some of my favorite developers. I will buy their games on console or on PC if they decrease the DRM down to at least my limit. I will not support their current DRM however.
September 23, 2008 10:25:41 AM

I'd be perfectly happy if they done away with hard copy sales and put everything on steam... People as well as companies need to move ahead with the times, on the one hand we cant keep expecting games to be released on 10 year old distribution platforms and on the other hand the publishers cant expect us to swallow totalitarian DRM.
September 23, 2008 12:10:46 PM

Oh well, get used to it because its likely going to be in the release of every one of their games as a form of sales insurance until sales slow down and they feel like patching it out.

Even if they patched it out it'll still get installed on your system whether it is limiting your activations or not.

So basically, any game which launches with DRM embedded into it - you might as well not play cause the DRM boogeyman will get you if you hit the setup.exe o_O
September 23, 2008 12:18:31 PM

Problem may be solved soon though. Good old NY has a law that makes the installation of files without user consent illegial, and the DRM rootkit falls in that category. I've already given EA an ultimatum on my end, either give us a way to remove the rootkit, or face legal action. And yes, I WILL sue, even if i know i'm probably going to lose, but i'm going to be as loud as I can about it, just for the sake of hitting them in the wallet.

I'll keep the rest of you updated as things progress.
September 23, 2008 12:39:52 PM

All they'll do is amend the EULA to include the rootkit.
September 23, 2008 1:55:43 PM

llama_man said:
All they'll do is amend the EULA to include the rootkit.

sadly, yes.
September 23, 2008 2:18:52 PM

Quote:
Good old NY has a law that makes the installation of files without user consent illegial, ...

Way off topic, but NYS is hardly a "gamer-friendly" state. Maybe I'm biased living in here, but NY probably has the worst track record in the US of being anti-gaming and anti-gamer. Bitch about DRM and how much you hate ED all you want, but please do not paint the government of NY as some sort of gamer advocate. If you think they are going to save you from the evils of EA you are just trading in one dictator for another even more repressive one.
!