Is there any difference btw nforce2 and KT400?

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Is there any real world difference btw nforce2 and KT400?

Given the same equipment, ignoring future upgrade possibilities, are there any non-marginal performance differences?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

EDIT: Spent the extra $20 and now the MSI nforce2 board is on the way. I'll be plugging it with two sticks of crucial pc2100. Since I'm running an Althon2200, the ddr333 won't help much. Thanks for your input.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twanto on 02/08/03 04:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
There could be several feature differences, depending on which combination of north and south bridge you went with on the nForce2. Otherwise, most would opt for the nForce2 because of all the overclocking goodies. I've also heard that it's more stabile in dual-channel mode than the VIA. Besides that, there are a lot of complains about the on-board sound having problems and some issues with AGP. Check out the <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com</A> in the video area for more info. There's a sticky forum devoted to the topic.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
kt400 does NOT do dual-channel ddr.That is a major difference.Nforce 2 is also a much more stable chipset than via kt400.Kt400 can't get any real performance gain out of ddr400 over ddr333 whereas nforce 2 can.These differences are just a drop in the ocean-nforce 2 is just much better than kt400.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Right now all the boards with the KT400's are having serious issues. Not from compatibility; but from piss poor parts installed on them. Capicators, IC's, and most likely voltage regulators. Which parts are bad is still a matter of debate and timing.

The Nforce2 boards have faired quite a bit better. Not only that, but they have some extra features (bios options) that come in very nicely when you start tweaking your system. You have a better chance of getting a "good" board with the Nforce2 ones.

But both of them have compatibility problems. Do not even bother trying to use a Radeon7500, 8500, or Geforce4 on either of them, unless the card is rated for AGP 3.0.

If it's an *old* AGP 2.0 card, like a GTS, then it will most likely work. Or if it's a PCI video card, it will work wonderfully.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Yep, you're right. KT400 does not do dual-DDR. My bad, I've been reading too many specs lately. It's a blur sometimes. Sorry.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

RCPilot

Champion
I didn't find what you were saying about the link you posted. I haven't heard the problems that your talking about with the A7V8X.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
On the the Via Areana site, I was talking about the VIA chipset - KT400. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Here a direct link: <A HREF="http://forums.viaarena.com/categories.cfm?catid=30" target="_new">http://forums.viaarena.com/categories.cfm?catid=30</A>

RCPilot

Champion
I see the sticky now with the KT400 & Radon 9700. How does that affect someone like me that runs the A7V8X & the Ti4600?

I haven't see near the problems with the KT400 you claim & I've been running it since Nov. I've also built a number of A7N8X's & haven't seen a real huge problem there either.

So What's the problems??

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
nForce2 is faster and better than KT400

nForce2 is more upgradable than KT400. There's a possibility of 400 MHz FSB Barton in near future. If it really comes, it will be usable with only nForce2. KT400 mobos will not work wih 400 MHz FSB processors, since they doesn't have 1/6 PCI bus divider.

nForce2 (MCP-T) audio is better than audigy. And of couse, better than KT400 mobos.

nForce2 has more advantages over KT400, like Dual LAN, Firewire etc.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're talking about a couple large, heartless corporations. Now, while nVidia clawed their way to the top through hard work resulting in great products, VIA wormed there way up by stealing other companies designs, lying to the end user, using anti-competitive practices illegal in the U.S., and making at best a marginal product. If not for Intel's abusive pricing scheme, AMD wouldn't have gotten to where they are, and VIA road on AMD's back by stepping on their users toes.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Makaveli

Splendid
I believe AGP3.0 is 8X AGP. And where do u get off saying it doesn't work with a Radeon 7500 or 8500 etc. Before I bought my Radeon 9700 Pro. I was running my 8500 on my Asus A7n8X deluxe. And it worked perfectly, and that card it not AGP 3.0 compliant.

Sometimes I wonder where some of u get this information. Cause I don't think its from actually having the Hardware!

My Spec
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>

13,622 3dmarks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, no. If VIA were headquartered in America, allong with those other companies, the courts would make certain it wasn't profitable to steal other companies designs, as the fees would be overwhelming. And if they threatened to put a motherboard company out of business for using a competitors products, the DOJ would be on their doorstep in about 11.3 seconds.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Well right.. I realize VIA is not an american company, but they do american business. This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure they would not be in business if it weren't for americans buying their products. We are what we buy, it does not matter where it is made. But anyway...blah

twanto

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA hates their American consumers. They are trying to expand across Asia as the ONLY supplier of product for the things they make, so they can forget about the US. But the problem remains that until they get that huge Asian market "locked up", they need OUR money. They plan on stringing their US consumers along until they have enough Asian consumers to tell us to screw off.