Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I formated a cdrw disk on my daughters computer to use as a drag and drop
file. I brought the disk home to my computer and it won't let me write to
the disk. It said write protected. How I make it not write protected? Both
machines are xp home.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jerry" <ghandt@highstream.net> wrote in message
>I formated a cdrw disk on my daughters computer to use as a drag and drop
>file. I brought the disk home to my computer and it won't let me write to
>the disk. It said write protected. How I make it not write protected? Both
>machines are xp home.

Whatever software you used on your daughter's PC to format that disk, you
will need that same program on your PC to view, or do the same tasks.
Drag-n-Drop is not part of XP (never has been), and only third party
programs do that (ie Drag-n-Drop is the name of a packet writing function
that is part of the newer CDR(W)/DVD writing softwares from Roxio).

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:02:42 -0600, "Jerry" <ghandt@highstream.net> wrote:

my 1st thought is that you need to see what the format is. ie: When I upgraded
to XP from win 98, I had plenty of disks formatted with HP's drag and drop
software [directCD]. XP claimed it was incompatible. So much so that just
having the dll on the drive caused havoc. I lost access to a lot of CD's.

You should be able to format a CD with XP. As for that particular CD. I'm
guessing it's seen it's last day unless you take it back to work and see if you
can use it there.