Eefus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
I built a new computer and am having major problems with it. Basically what happens is that I can get through the WinXP Pro install without a hitch, however, the second I enter Windows the problems start. I receive random errors with windows that I have never gotten before on different computer using same CD. The computer also randomly restarts and I am not able to even reliably install the latest drivers. I already replaced the mobo, does anyone have any other ideas? I am really bummed. Thanks:)

System:
Intel D845PEBT2
Intel P4 2.66
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Mushkin 512 MB Cas 2 Ram
Audigy 2
2 Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm HD
Plextor Burner
Lite-On CD/DVD Rom

<i>If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.</i>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
The first thing I'd guess is either the power supply or the memory. What brand/wattage of power supply do you have? Also, download mem-test and run that. I don't have the link right off hand, but just go to google and search for it. As for other solutions, check your tempertures on your processor to ensure you aren't overheating causing stability. Those are the problems and the order that I would check. The power supply is going to need to be a good brand with all that stuff that you're running in it. Let us know how it turns out.

Eefus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Right now I am running an Antec TruePower 330W PSU. As far as memtest I would love to run it but I can't ever get far enough into windows before I get an error. Maybe I'll put the stick in another box and see how it performs. Let me know any more ideas/comments. Thanks!

<i>If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.</i>

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hi, here's my 2 cents.

Like Fiask0 said, power supply or RAM. Seeing that you have good units on both I would try MEMTest if you can get there or use someone's computer to run the test. Although Brandname products are known for reliability, I'd make sure that your PSU is ok. Another thing try installing the OS with just one 256MB stick if you have it. If not, borrow it. I've done this before and XP Pro installed with no glitches. I then added the 512 after XP Pro initialized and no problems. Could also be that your CD is screwed. My version is a (how am I gonna say this w/out getting slapped)
let's just say "mod" XP Corporate edition. Could be your CD-ROM reader going to pasture.

Hope my 2 cents helped.

VAGABOND

PS: Nice Sig! LOL Wish it were true. Then I could finally overclock my BMW 318i! :tongue:

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

Eefus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Yeah I am going to be working on this the next couple days, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!