Need to format 60 Gb Laptop Drive w/hidden IBM partition

Am running XP Pro on and IBM Thinkpad R40.

I have an IBM Thinkpad and I upgraded the hard drive to 80 gb, and
would like to completely format my old 60 Gb drive, but that drive has
a "hidden" IBM partition that won't even show up on any partition or
image program. What I would like to do is completely format the drive
to recover the original 60 Gb size and eliminate the 5 gb hidden
recovery partition. However, I don't think I can boot into DOS as
there is no floppy drive on the laptop and the 60 Gb drive resides in
an "Ultrabay" caddy that takes place of CD/DVD drive, so I probably
wouldnt be able to boot from a CD either.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this, or will I
have to put the 60 Gb drive in another computer that has a floppy
drive? What program will format over this "Hidden" partition (is a
"low level format what I'm looking for?)

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about need format laptop drive hidden partition

    TweakUI can unhide a partition and by right clicking My
    Computer and selecting Manage, you can access disk
    management and format the drive.

    "Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
    | Am running XP Pro on and IBM Thinkpad R40.
    |
    | I have an IBM Thinkpad and I upgraded the hard drive to 80
    gb, and
    | would like to completely format my old 60 Gb drive, but
    that drive has
    | a "hidden" IBM partition that won't even show up on any
    partition or
    | image program. What I would like to do is completely
    format the drive
    | to recover the original 60 Gb size and eliminate the 5 gb
    hidden
    | recovery partition. However, I don't think I can boot
    into DOS as
    | there is no floppy drive on the laptop and the 60 Gb drive
    resides in
    | an "Ultrabay" caddy that takes place of CD/DVD drive, so I
    probably
    | wouldnt be able to boot from a CD either.
    |
    | Anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish
    this, or will I
    | have to put the 60 Gb drive in another computer that has a
    floppy
    | drive? What program will format over this "Hidden"
    partition (is a
    | "low level format what I'm looking for?)
    |
    | Any suggestions?

    Hello Jim;

    I installed Tweak UI for XP, did what you said, and it doesn't even
    show the hidden partitions. However, neither would Partition Magic 8
    or any other program. It's a recovery partition installed by IBM at
    factory or when you use the recovery CD's. The drive is an IBM
    Travelstar drive.

    Using Tweak UI it shows drive C: IBM_Preload and drive D:IBM_Preload,
    but no hidden recovery partitions.

    Is there a "low level" format program that will overwrite everything
    on the drive to restore it to original factory size?

    Jim

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:23:15 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >TweakUI can unhide a partition and by right clicking My
    >Computer and selecting Manage, you can access disk
    >management and format the drive.

    Most hard drive manufacturers have a utility that will zero-fill a hard
    drive. Most, however, will only work with their brand HD. However,
    Seagate's utility will work with other brands of hard drives and you can
    download it from Seagate's web site. I found it by Googling "zero fill". I
    can't remember if I've ever tried to do this with a partitioned drive.

    Good luck.

    On 29/11/2004 Jim wrote:

    > Hello Jim;
    >
    > I installed Tweak UI for XP, did what you said, and it doesn't even
    > show the hidden partitions. However, neither would Partition Magic 8
    > or any other program. It's a recovery partition installed by IBM at
    > factory or when you use the recovery CD's. The drive is an IBM
    > Travelstar drive.
    >
    > Using Tweak UI it shows drive C: IBM_Preload and drive D:IBM_Preload,
    > but no hidden recovery partitions.
    >
    > Is there a "low level" format program that will overwrite everything
    > on the drive to restore it to original factory size?
    >
    > Jim

    Can you lay your hands on a Linux boot CD from a friend?

    I keep one handy for difficult disk problems, Linux fdisk will do
    everything you tell it to, obviously with disastrous consequences if
    you're not careful :-)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:16:34 -0800, Jim wrote:

    > Am running XP Pro on and IBM Thinkpad R40.
    >
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad and I upgraded the hard drive to 80 gb, and
    > would like to completely format my old 60 Gb drive, but that drive has
    > a "hidden" IBM partition that won't even show up on any partition or
    > image program. What I would like to do is completely format the drive
    > to recover the original 60 Gb size and eliminate the 5 gb hidden
    > recovery partition. However, I don't think I can boot into DOS as
    > there is no floppy drive on the laptop and the 60 Gb drive resides in
    > an "Ultrabay" caddy that takes place of CD/DVD drive, so I probably
    > wouldnt be able to boot from a CD either.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this, or will I
    > have to put the 60 Gb drive in another computer that has a floppy
    > drive? What program will format over this "Hidden" partition (is a
    > "low level format what I'm looking for?)
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You may want to leave that hidden partition in place. If I'm not mistaken,
    IBM tucks some of their system diagnostic tools in there. They may come in
    handy at some time during this laptop's lifetime. Example: Their output may
    be necessary for acquiring warranty service.

    At the very least, I would check the IBM website or with IBM tech support
    for more info on what exactly is in that partition -- then decide whether
    the partition should be blown away or retained.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Partition Format Windows XP