How can I see file previews in Windows Explorer?

In XP Home edition, I have used Windows Explorer to search for files
containing certain text. The Explorer search windows has listed about a
hundred files containing the text, all of which are Microsoft WORD 2003 files.

I don't want to have to open each file individually to find the text I'm
looking for. I would like to open a preview pane of some kind so that I can
see a preview of each file, to know whether I should open it to search the
file completely. How can I get this preview pane kind of view?
2 answers Last reply
More about file previews windows explorer

    Sounds like a great idea. Anyone who uses Adobe's Acrobat Reader knows how
    handy this feature is. Unfortunately, it's not available with Windows XP. At
    least, not yet.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:21:04 -0800, Robert Judge wrote:

    > In XP Home edition, I have used Windows Explorer to search for files
    > containing certain text. The Explorer search windows has listed about a
    > hundred files containing the text, all of which are Microsoft WORD 2003 files.
    >
    > I don't want to have to open each file individually to find the text I'm
    > looking for. I would like to open a preview pane of some kind so that I can
    > see a preview of each file, to know whether I should open it to search the
    > file completely. How can I get this preview pane kind of view?

    Perform a search at google.com to locate alternative find tools. For
    example: Agent Ransack (free) or File Locator Pro (shareware) utilize a
    preview pane in their search results window and can be found at
    http://www.mythicsoft.com

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows Explorer Microsoft Word Microsoft Windows XP