Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

consoles are crap

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 24, 2008 10:01:26 PM

Out of sheer boredom and because I believe piracy is putting PC gaming out of business I bought an X BOX 360 hoping that I could teach myself to aim with that lame little thumb stick. Boy was I wrong. I don't know how or why console gamers put up with such a slow and imprecise primary control. I can't even come close to targeting an NPC without getting blasted first. Not only that, I just discovered it isn't possible to mute the background music without muting everything. I guess I'll have to find another hobby sooner or later.

More about : consoles crap

September 25, 2008 12:46:43 AM

While learning to aim with an analog stick accurately is harder than a mouse, it's completely possible. One of my friends plays Halo 3 a ton; thanks to his ranking of "General" Xbox Live only pairs him with other ridiculously good players, and most of the people would almost appear as though they aren't even using a controller with how quickly they respond. I mean, sure a mouse is going to be easier regardless, but you would be surprised how some people are able to adapt to the different control scheme. You do realize that in-game music is automatically muted when you listen to your own music through the dashboard, right? Most games also have an options menu and the different volume levels can be adjusted there as well.
September 25, 2008 1:29:17 AM

I agree with Heyyou27, its very possible to get used to using analogs. I remember when I first started playing FPS games on Console (I believe it was one of the Medal of Honor Games), I actually threw my controller up against the wall a coupla times out of frustration. But after a while & a few controllers, the analog sticks grew on me... Naturally, I dont react nearly as quickly as I would playing with a Mouse & Keyboard but its certainly worth getting used to considering that there are a lot of good FPS games out/coming out on Consoles, both Xbox & PS3.
Related resources
September 25, 2008 4:49:24 AM

Heyyou27 said:
While learning to aim with an analog stick accurately is harder than a mouse, it's completely possible. One of my friends plays Halo 3 a ton; thanks to his ranking of "General" Xbox Live only pairs him with other ridiculously good players, and most of the people would almost appear as though they aren't even using a controller with how quickly they respond. I mean, sure a mouse is going to be easier regardless, but you would be surprised how some people are able to adapt to the different control scheme. You do realize that in-game music is automatically muted when you listen to your own music through the dashboard, right? Most games also have an options menu and the different volume levels can be adjusted there as well.



I don't know anything about listening to "my own" music and I don't want to know. What I want is NO MUSIC and it isn't available in Halo 3. Also, I don't use a mouse for PC games. I use an old Microsoft controller called a Sidewinder Dual Strike and I guarantee it's the best aiming device for FPS ever invented. Befpre I found the Dual Strike I used a Kensington Track Ball ant that is way better than a mouse also.

September 25, 2008 5:15:43 AM

I wholeheartedly agree to the part where you state that aiming with a thumbstick is totally stupid. Really.
September 25, 2008 10:17:39 AM

? A trackball is better at aiming than a mouse? Seriously? And a joystick too? I think you are on drugs man.

I've played FPSs with joysticks and trackballs and never once did I feel it was even remotely as good and accurate as a mouse.

I can tolerate the FPS controls on a console, but I certainly don't enjoy them.
September 25, 2008 3:43:20 PM

infornography42 said:
? A trackball is better at aiming than a mouse? Seriously? And a joystick too? I think you are on drugs man.

I've played FPSs with joysticks and trackballs and never once did I feel it was even remotely as good and accurate as a mouse.

I can tolerate the FPS controls on a console, but I certainly don't enjoy them.


Your ignorance is showing. I didn't say the Sidewinder Dual Strike was a joystick because it isn't. If you would like to regain your credibility do some homework in the D/S and try it before you mouth off about it. They're available on Ebay for a few bucks and still run on XP.
September 27, 2008 3:49:30 AM

My apologies, but I still would be disinclined to believe that this controller would be better to use than a good old keyboard/mouse....
September 27, 2008 4:50:13 AM

As stated earlier, it's very possible to get good with the controller, it just takes more practice and doesn't feel as natural. I will always love the PC more, but I do enjoy my 360 a lot. Now I don't have to worry about console exclusives or cheap console ports, I can just get them on the console. Now what I really don't get are the people that play RTS on the console. I really don't see how that is possible.
September 27, 2008 6:16:49 AM

No thanks came from console gaming background and found my natural habit climbing through windows. Theres no competition for keyboard mouse combination.
September 27, 2008 6:32:11 AM

infornography42 said:
My apologies, but I still would be disinclined to believe that this controller would be better to use than a good old keyboard/mouse....



Apology accepted. I understand your reluctance. The dual strike was only on shelves for a year or so. I guess it didn't sell well. There is a learning curve accociated with it but it's worth the investment. Of course it's a personal preference but people I've demonstrated the DS to all agree with me. There are areas of some games where I still prefer the Kensington trackball. The good thing about USB is that you can have the DS, the trackball & the keyboard all available simultaneously. Years ago I cruised happily through Halo using the DS. Recently I used a crack to run Halo 2 on XP and decided to use an available Microsoft XP driver and install an XBox 360 controller on my PC. What a nightmare. Halo 2 isn't any fun even on my PC using the XBox 360 controller.
September 27, 2008 7:44:05 PM

for many xbox 360 games that don't let you mute the music, you can fix that by playing other songs stored on the 360 hard drive

when there playing the 360 will access it's own hidden menu invisible to the user and mute the games music

console games have a auto aiming feature because they know the controllers suck for fps games so you only have to be close to the target and the auto aim will do the rest
September 27, 2008 11:39:30 PM

razor512 said:
for many xbox 360 games that don't let you mute the music, you can fix that by playing other songs stored on the 360 hard drive

when there playing the 360 will access it's own hidden menu invisible to the user and mute the games music

console games have a auto aiming feature because they know the controllers suck for fps games so you only have to be close to the target and the auto aim will do the rest



As I said in my second post in this thread, I'm not interested in "my music". What I want is NO MUSIC. I've heard about auto aim before and I guess it must suck too because I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Hell, I can barely walk in the right direction.
September 27, 2008 11:55:25 PM

It might be possible to have a track of no sound and have it "play" in loop. :p 

As for control, yeah, a noob with a mouse can pwn an expert with a gamepad's joystick. :na: 
September 28, 2008 8:14:10 AM

Teh XBOX 360 sucks because every aspect of it was created to separate you from as much of your money as possible.
September 28, 2008 1:43:37 PM

altazi said:
Teh XBOX 360 sucks because every aspect of it was created to separate you from as much of your money as possible.


Gosh!! What a novel idea. I'll bet that might catch on.
September 28, 2008 2:03:50 PM

ram1009 said:
Your ignorance is showing. I didn't say the Sidewinder Dual Strike was a joystick because it isn't. If you would like to regain your credibility do some homework in the D/S and try it before you mouth off about it. They're available on Ebay for a few bucks and still run on XP.


http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-C32-00006-SideWinder-Du...

Ummm, I'm not a doctor or anything, but that looks like a crappy, cheap console controller imitation. Not to put too fine a point on it, but you couldn't pay me to game with that. Which is why they were discontinued. Because they are bad and uncomfortable to use.

But hey , it's cool if you like it then I can understand.

Please try not to be such a pissy tempered fanboy about it when someone disagrees with you.

Thanx.
September 28, 2008 5:10:08 PM

petevsdrm said:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-C32-00006-SideWinder-Du...

Ummm, I'm not a doctor or anything, but that looks like a crappy, cheap console controller imitation. Not to put too fine a point on it, but you couldn't pay me to game with that. Which is why they were discontinued. Because they are bad and uncomfortable to use.

But hey , it's cool if you like it then I can understand.

Please try not to be such a pissy tempered fanboy about it when someone disagrees with you.

Thanx.


Disagree all you like but do so from a position of knowledge. The person I called ignorant was ignorant because he hadn't even bothered to do what little you did which was look it up. You didn't hear him complain about being called ignorant did you? You, on the other hand are both ignorant and closed minded. You believe that looking at a picture of something can tell you everything you need to know. I can't help recall the old expression " A mind is a terrible thing to waste". But then again it's yours to do with as you please. I have nothing to gain by informing you that the DS is superuior to a mouse. Quite the contrary. Everyone I run into on line using a mouse is already at a disadvantage to me using the DS. The reason it didn't sell is because short sighted people like you were unwilling to invest the time to learn how to use it to their advantage. Unfortunately, that's the prevailing attitude amongst today's youth which, I'm betting, you're among. Actually, the DS was probably off the market by the time you finished teething so it's probably not your fault you weren't exposed to it. :D 

September 28, 2008 8:10:00 PM

If you play music through the dashboard you can turn your own music's volume to zero, and it will still mute the in game music as well.
September 28, 2008 8:28:40 PM

Heyyou27 said:
If you play music through the dashboard you can turn your own music's volume to zero, and it will still mute the in game music as well.



Thanks, I'll give it a try. Nobody should have to do this.
September 28, 2008 8:37:05 PM

ram1009 said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Nobody should have to do this.
I can't believe you're having such an issue with in game music; Halo 3 only has it in the campaign, but based on your original post I guess you aren't ready for multiplayer. I have GTA IV in my 360 right now and I know for a fact that it allows you to turn off in game music, although I don't really know why you would want to if you aren't going to listen to your own music. Oh well, hopefully you won't have any more issues with it.
September 28, 2008 8:51:51 PM

ram1009 said:
As I said in my second post in this thread, I'm not interested in "my music". What I want is NO MUSIC. I've heard about auto aim before and I guess it must suck too because I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Hell, I can barely walk in the right direction.



i will upload a audio file that will fix your problem

it is a 2 second audio file that has nothing but silence

set it to repeat

this will prevent all music during gameplay


http://www.mediafire.com/?m3d23zewgmn

or if you want take any audio file that contains nothing but silence thats already on your pc
September 29, 2008 3:10:39 PM

razor512 said:
i will upload a audio file that will fix your problem

it is a 2 second audio file that has nothing but silence

set it to repeat

this will prevent all music during gameplay


http://www.mediafire.com/?m3d23zewgmn

or if you want take any audio file that contains nothing but silence thats already on your pc


Thanks very much. I have the file now how do I get it onto the X Box 360 HDD & how do I get it to "play" instead of the background music?
September 30, 2008 8:02:14 PM

you can save it to a flash drive then when gaming just head to the media player and select the music and it should play the audio file instead of the games music
September 30, 2008 11:02:29 PM

If you have music you might actually want to listen to in game, you can just use it and either pause the song or turn to volume all the way down.
October 9, 2008 6:22:55 PM

why post this at all, everyone knows it'd just become a flame war.
October 9, 2008 9:32:00 PM

Actually, I was hoping someone could clue me in on how to use the crappy controller or an alternative but I see that there are no alternatives and you just have to force yourself to make due because the manufacturers don't give any options. I'm caught between a rock & a hard place because FPS games will soon be history on PCs because of piracy.
December 7, 2008 9:36:44 PM

You know nothing at all.
December 8, 2008 2:14:10 AM

tallguy1618 said:
You know nothing at all.



Why don't you enlighten us all?
December 8, 2008 2:57:12 PM

I fully expect to be shouted at for this, but i cannot play Halo on the PC...it just feels wrong.
I played the game on Xbox first like most, and got so used to the pad that it just feels like a different game when using a keyboard and mouse.

I even accept that the pad is the worst of the 2 interfaces for accuracy, still it does not matter - the feel of the game is different to the point of it not being as enjoyable.
December 9, 2008 3:27:28 AM

I played Halo on the pc.... actually never finished. Never figured out what all you console boys were so excited about.
December 9, 2008 6:51:58 AM

Exactly!!!

Different game - try it on Xbox.
December 9, 2008 9:10:22 AM

i agree to a point, tomb raider is a better game with a controller so are racing games, but FPS games on consoles suck balls, unless there in 3rd person like mass effect.
December 10, 2008 9:35:25 PM

You guys seriously miss the point. I grew up on consoles and to me, it took some getting used to to play Crysis with my mouse. I am sure you will find the controller just as good as the mouse. I know fo a fact that in COD4, you can increase you controller sensitivity, as I am sure it is like on many other games. The thing is with gaming computers is that they aren't exactly the cheapest things around. Me being 14, I understand that I am probably one of the only kids in my school that has a gaming computer and actually understands the hardware. Everyone of my friends owns and Xbox 360 or PS3. I own both, including the gaming PC. I have had much better online gaming experiences on the consoles because of this. I have enjoyed many games that I believe are a lot better on consoles, such as racing games and games like Little Big Planet and Gears of War. The PC on the other hand, is a whole different story.

The PC is better in a few aspects I have myself, found while playing some titles. I have enjoyed games that are certainly better with a mouse and keyboard, such as RTS titles (I have no idea how you could play World in Conflict on the 360), and Crysis. The graphics on the PC are superior to the consoles and so are some the physics. The ability to customize your game, audio, other OS features, and the PC itself are some the coolest things I have found in the PC gaming world. I was only introduced to the real PC gaming with real PC rigs a year ago, and I am still getting the hang of it.

In summary, both the PC and the Consoles have their greater aspects. To blindly say that either is better than the other is just....no word to describe it. I have enjoyed both console, and PC gaming a lot, and I am sure if you gave consoles/PCs a chance, you would enjoy it just as much as the other gaming 'world', or whatever you call it.
December 11, 2008 3:04:31 AM

I think Consoles are perfect for what they do think about it
1. Cheap - Under 500
2. You don't need to upgrade
3. wide selection of games
4. ok selection of games (top Pc games are better than top console games)
5. If you run into any problem you can get it shipped of for the company to fix

I have both a PC and a xbox 360, i have enjoyed the around the same amount of entertainment on both, yet i have spent more on the PC compared to the xbox.

PS: I prefer playing FPS(CS:S, LEFt for Dead, COD4, COD5, Crysis) on computer but i like my rpg's on my xbox (Mass Effect Fallout 3, Oblivan)
yet i spend the most time on my pc playing rts games
December 11, 2008 7:06:10 AM

Tyor said:
To blindly say that either is better than the other is just....no word to describe it


"Preference"
December 11, 2008 8:02:23 AM

I think you will never find an answer on this question. I prefer computers as well.
December 11, 2008 10:40:15 AM

@Ram1009 - I think you will find that FPS will live on forever on a PC as if you actually want to to enjoy the game and play online there is server authentication. Well I suppose there are always hacked servers too but whats the point as they are few and far between. BF1942 = bought, BF Vietnam = bought, BF2142 =bought (crap too), COD4 = Pirated!!! then I wanted to play online so I bought, Left4Dead = bought. FPS on the PC have to be bought as otherwise you cant play online and there is no point in that! Oh and a Mouse for me all the way. My mate has just started using the Belkin N52 gaming controller and loves it, it may be worth a look.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Nostromo-SpeedPad-Direct...
!