Input towards my issue

jimmyswimm

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
ALLLLLRIGHTY heeeeere we go, I know you'll think I'm some crazy fool but anyways. My friend has a HP (yes I know, free sys for him) p3 800 mhz 512 sdram(256 original)basic OEM crap the rest of the way. I swap out his 4x burner with a 48x one. Standard swap, boot up everything in his grand ol win xp home install nero on there burn a cd and everything is great. I go into nero to make sure it'll burn in 48x and then all hell breaks loose. It freezes solid. I try a soft boot nothing, so I hard boot then wait for it to reboot. IT DOESN'T REBOOT. Just powers on and sits there like a noisy paper weight. Swapped out my 370 watt psu in there same thing pull out everything except essentials and I get nothing. No error beeps, no post, I mean nothing but power. So here's my theory the BIOS got tanked. I have to reset it or flash I think flash back it's bios. Other thing is I'm not entirely sure if a power spike got sent through the machine and jacked it up. Input would be greatly appreciated cuz I've mulled over this simple upgrade gone to hell and that's all I got. Thanks

<b><font color=blue>Guys: No Shirt, No Service -- Gals: No Shirt, No Charge :lol: :wink:

Have you tried using the cmos jumper with the power supply unplugged? You may also be able to get into windows safe mode, using F5. While in safe mode, you can check for hardware conflicts in the device manager. If you find no conflicts, I would remove the nero program and reboot. If windows loads, I would try re-installing nero in your cd-burner. Some burners aren't recognized properly by nero the first time you install them.

psnathan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Since you've mentioned that you have stripped everything except the essentials, I'm out of suggestions too. But have you tried physically pulling out the RAM, processor and graphics card and re-sitting them?

Next, have you tried clearing the CMOS?

May be you can try reassembling the system from scratch, i.e. pull out everything and reassemble everything.

Just my suggestion.

jimmyswimm

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Ok it won't POST so I can't get to safe mode. I can't even get to the CMOS. I've pulled everything sans cpu and graphics since I can't pull integrated graphics and I didn't pull the cpu cuz it was working a full 25 seconds earlier. I went to Hp's site and saw that it had something like a 185watt psu. I'm pretty sure the psu got toasted in the mix even though it was only a 256 sdram stick and a 48x burner I added. My original question remains, could overloading the psu cause a power spike to get through and take out the MB? Since it won't POST AT ALL, I'm lead to believe the Bios or Mb entirely is outta whack. Anything elst to be contributed is appreciated.

<b><font color=blue>Guys: No Shirt, No Service -- Gals: No Shirt, No Charge :lol: :wink: