Upgrading a hard drive with a Windows XP OEM install

i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience - the
OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
(higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through the
newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery option
other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd - Microsoft
has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know that I
have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery cd's
for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even though
they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate some
input before I pursue any particular course of action.
--
JW
8 answers Last reply

    Norton Ghost 9.0
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    Acronis True Image 8.0
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Ted Zieglar

    Jon wrote:
    > i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new
    > experience - the OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to
    > install a 200 Gb hd. It appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive
    > unless I wish to use the larger (higher performance) drive as a
    > second disk only. By reading through the newsgroup postings it
    > appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique experience. The
    > postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery option other
    > than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
    > legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -
    > Microsoft has accepted my product registration via the internet but I
    > don't know that I have any good options to implement the upgrade. I
    > have XP Home/Recovery cd's for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt
    > the code will work even though they're both OEM installs. I have
    > other options but would appreciate some input before I pursue any
    > particular course of action.

    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
    BootIT NG from Terabyte
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    Image for Windows and DOS
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/image.zip
    Drive Image from Power Quest
    http://www.powerquest.com/
    Symantec Ghost.
    http://www.symantec.com/servsupp.html
    Maxblast II Plus
    http://tinyurl.com/275m
    Western Digital
    http://support.wdc.com/download/#dlgtools
    Casper XP
    http://www.fssdev.com/
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP, IBM,
    eMachine or Dell

    "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience -
    the
    > OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
    > appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
    > (higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through the
    > newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
    > experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery
    option
    > other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
    > legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -
    Microsoft
    > has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know
    that I
    > have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery
    cd's
    > for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even though
    > they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate some
    > input before I pursue any particular course of action.
    > --
    > JW

    "everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,
    IBM,
    eMachine or Dell"

    No kidding? Kindly post a URL for Dell so I can purchase their OEM Windows
    XP for about $20.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > "everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,
    > IBM,
    > eMachine or Dell"
    >
    > No kidding? Kindly post a URL for Dell so I can purchase their OEM Windows
    > XP for about $20.

    E-bay is your best bet
    --
    Best Wishes from Martin

    So many questions, so few answers.

    You said "from the OEM manuf".

    --
    Ted Zieglar

    Martin wrote:

    > E-bay is your best bet

    How about a *legitimate* source?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    www.newegg.com

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
    message news:OmIY7H11EHA.3324@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Martin wrote:
    |

    | > E-bay is your best bet
    |
    | How about a *legitimate* source?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Bruce Chambers
    |
    | Help us help you:
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    |
    | You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having
    | both at once. - RAH

OEM Windows XP