Why do VIA keep quiet?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
What is the solution of VIA facing the strong opponent nVidia? Since the launching of nForce2 there is nobody talking about KT400 anymore, so why do VIA just keeping quiet without any reaction? Though I'm going to buy nForce2 soon but I still hoping VIA may come out a better solution like a revise of KT400A or so on...

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i read there is a kt400A comming out, basically a revised 400 with a much improved and lower latency memory bus, more options of asynch ram/cpu and a few other odds and sods.

they have definately been beaten by the nforce2 for the moment though.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

bschuler

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Yeah.. Gigabyte will be the first to have the KT400A to market. Another site said they expected to have a sample board by today. I myself don't like the Nvidia2 MB options and am holding out with hope that the KT400A chipset is a closer match to Nvidia2. Hopefully they also fix the 8xagp + 333FSB bug.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, nobody with any hardware knowledge was talking about the KT400 since...before the nForce2...since it's RELEASE. It was no better than the KT333 and often slower! Ah, but VIA relies on idiots to buy their crap anyway. Lots of people will say things like "their not so bad anymore" after saying things like "bought the KT133, it was terrible, but the 133A was only bad, and the KT266 was a bit better, and my KT266A was fair..." Well, if they went through all those problems and KEPT BUYING, my my, that's the kind of loyal idiot VIA counts on!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm getting really sick of your anti-VIA crap, Crashman!

Calling people "idiots" for buying VIA is just plain offensive. WTF is wrong with you? Grow up.

You don't like VIA, fine, then don't buy their products. If other people want to use VIA, what the hell do you care?

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I have an A7V333, I hope to be not an idiot. Simply at the time I was searching for a good mobo the A7V333 was among the best motherboard on the market.
The NVidia board is the top-rated mother board but, there is always a "but". The chipset from NVidia seems to be not a good "hdd-driver" resulting in bad performances in quite all tests made to measure the performances of hdd's.
The board is very fast when the memory is involved (games) but results to be into the crowd when hard disks all called to the job. Undoubtedly the ASUS A7N8X DeLuxe is a very fast board, but also it cames one year after the KT333 and some months after the KT400, which, in any case has a better IDE controller. VIA chipset still have several bugs or, better, the drivers do not perform very well. From these consideration I do not think it is possible to establish if someone is idiot also considering that the A7V8X is on the market at about 100 US$, while the NVidia board has a price of approximately 150 US$ and not all users buy a computer to play games.

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I do not think it is possible to establish if someone is idiot also considering that the A7V8X is on the market at about 100 US$, while the NVidia board has a price of approximately 150 US$ and not all users buy a computer to play games.
Epox 8RDA and MSI K7N2-L costs less than $100.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I care because they hurt other companies that make GOOD products? As far as being idiots, well, if you have a problem with 2 or 3 generations of product and you buy the fourth anyway, even if the fourth turns out to be OK, it still shows a lack of judgement.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Oops, seems like I almost start a war here ^_^'
But even VIA KT400A is closing to nForce2, the lack of support of 400FSB in sync with DualDDR400 would still a down for it.
Anyway, I just bought my Asus A7N8X Deluxe yesterday along with 2 sticks of 256MB Kingston DDR333 ValueRAM, Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro and 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with 8MB cache.

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've only ever bought 1 VIA board. I've taken a couple on trade in. And I've fixed a slew of VIA equiped systems for a local shop. The thing that pissed me off the worst was that they kept saying "it's not our fault, speak to your card manufacturer" whenever a card wouldn't work. And yet they kept releasing patches to the problems that they said didn't exist. My board was finally stable after two years of BIOS and Driver updates. I became so familiar with fixing VIA compatability, stability, and configuration issues, the contract work was relatively "easy". But what they did to SiS, I can't let that slide.

RobD

Champion
Lol! I knew Crash would reply!
I had a VIA KT133 and a Geforce 2 card. What a pile of shite. The mobo lasted a whole 5 months because I got that sick of lockups, crashes etc I bought an SiS platform. Best thing I ever did.
I know that just about everybody at work who had VIA had problems. Just my opinion (and several others)!

What did they do to SiS? I hadn't heard about this?!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA chipsets have been most popular with AMD enthusiast mainly because VIA got an early lead into that field with the dredded MVP chipset series, followed by the dredded KT133. When SiS released the 735 it was clearly a superior product to the KT266, and VIA was still working on the KT266A. Asus, Abit, and MSI all designed 735 boards and their designs were finalized (ready for production). Then VIA told these companies that if they produced these boards, they might find themselves lacking an adequate supply of future VIA chipsets (aka extortion). So these companies dropped them, and SiS lost their foothold in the Socket 462 market.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Last time I saw the numbers (before nForce2), VIA had 70% of the AMD market, SIS has 20% and the last 10% was divided up between players like ALi and nVidia.

When nVidia jumped into the chipset market, it would be equivalent to Microsoft jumping into...well, I'm trying to think of a software segment where Microsoft does not exist, but I can't...If there was such a software segment, anyone making software in that segment would be scared speechless for a moment.

You might have to change your entire marketing and development approach. nVidia is a powerful name with the clout to pull off some spectacular things. VIA should just be happy that nVidia didn't decide to tackle the Intel market too (but I think they will within the next 18 months).

Enthusiasts are loving the high end chipset of nVidia. Low-end customers are loving the integrated video options. I predict that nVidia will have 40% of the market in two years.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, that's a huge prediction. I believe nVidia will have 5% of the total maket for desktop level chipsets, and 15% of the AMD market, in 2 years. SiS will remain at around 20%, ALI will pick up a few percent based on their Hammer chipsets, and VIA will be down to around 60%. I won't be happy with the VIA situation until they are down to 20% of the AMD market, and that probably will never happen.

As for nVidia making an Intel chipset, nVidia refuses to pay for the license, which I believe is around $6 per unit. I doubt they will steal the bus either.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Yes, but I believe that the reason they didn't invest in the bus license is because it didn't fit their roll-out price structure. Once they prove themselves in the AMD arena, which they are doing relatively quickly, they will be poised to take on the license issue. Then, they will be able to charge the needed cost to absorb the Intel fee.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They could! SiS pays the per unit fee to Intel, and STILL charges less for chipsets than VIA, who steals the technology. Think about that the next time someone mentions a P4X chipset.