Wireless Network Help

Hey all,
I want to setup a wireless network between 3 computers. I want each
computer to have access to the Internet so I'm thinking that I need a
wireless router and wireless network cards.
The problem I'm having is I don't really know much about routers, or
networking (only basic knowledge).

What should I be looking for in a router when I'm shopping around?
I've also heard a lot about the security of wireless networks, and people
from outside your house can gain access to the network easily. Is this true,
or is this just because those people haven't setup the network/router
correctly?

Do all the computers need to be running the same OS? Two are running Windows
XP and the other Windows ME. Will this cause a problem when networking them
together?

One more thing, because the Internet connection is being shared, does that
mean that each computer is set a bandwidth or does it adjust itself
according to demand by the computer?
One computer is used a lot on the Internet, and the other two will only be
used a few times a week.

I live in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy a
router and equipment needed in the UK that would be helpful.

Thanks for any help,

--
Global_Killa
More about wireless network help

    "Global_Killa" <global_killa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > I want to setup a wireless network between 3 computers. I want each
    > computer to have access to the Internet so I'm thinking that I need a
    > wireless router and wireless network cards.
    > The problem I'm having is I don't really know much about routers, or
    > networking (only basic knowledge).
    >
    > What should I be looking for in a router when I'm shopping around?
    > I've also heard a lot about the security of wireless networks, and people
    > from outside your house can gain access to the network easily. Is this
    true,
    > or is this just because those people haven't setup the network/router
    > correctly?
    >
    > Do all the computers need to be running the same OS? Two are running
    Windows
    > XP and the other Windows ME. Will this cause a problem when networking
    them
    > together?
    >
    > One more thing, because the Internet connection is being shared, does that
    > mean that each computer is set a bandwidth or does it adjust itself
    > according to demand by the computer?
    > One computer is used a lot on the Internet, and the other two will only be
    > used a few times a week.
    >
    > I live in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy a
    > router and equipment needed in the UK that would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"

    I think you should do a goodle search on Wireless internet and do a bit of
    reading.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

    ---

    If you only want shared internet access, then you only need to purchase a
    wireless router. Most routers comes with 4 LAN ports to connect each PC
    with an ethernet cable in case you don't have the money to go completely
    wireless and/or if you have a LAN card in each PC. In reference to what
    kind, that's up for grabs. There's PROS and CONS to each brand. The most
    popular is Linksys, followed by Netgear, D-Link and Belkin. They are all
    consumer grade brands. Buffalo and SMC are also brands to consider. To
    save you a bunch of grief, I do recommend that you stick with one brand.
    They are designed to work together. Mixing brands can sometimes be a
    problem. Go with the "wireless G" type. What to look for?: Warranty Life,
    WPA / WPA-PSK encryption, customer satisfaction, NAT firewall, logging
    features, the ability to expand, parental controls, and ease of use to
    name a few. Personnally, I've tried Linksys, Netgear and Belkin. Linksys
    was loaded with features, but kept dropping signals. Netgear was the
    easiest to set up and use, but needed frequent reboots and the Belkin is
    loaded, easy to setup and use and has not given me any problems.
    Remember, these are my experiences only. They could've have simply been
    lemons. Anyway, I hope this helps you. Take care.

    "Global_Killa" <global_killa@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    > I want to setup a wireless network between 3 computers. I want
    > each
    > computer to have access to the Internet so I'm thinking that I need a
    > wireless router and wireless network cards.
    > The problem I'm having is I don't really know much about routers, or
    > networking (only basic knowledge).
    >
    > What should I be looking for in a router when I'm shopping around?
    > I've also heard a lot about the security of wireless networks, and
    > people from outside your house can gain access to the network easily.
    > Is this true, or is this just because those people haven't setup the
    > network/router correctly?
    >
    > Do all the computers need to be running the same OS? Two are running
    > Windows XP and the other Windows ME. Will this cause a problem when
    > networking them together?

    > One more thing, because the Internet connection is being shared, does
    > that mean that each computer is set a bandwidth or does it adjust
    > itself according to demand by the computer?
    > One computer is used a lot on the Internet, and the other two will
    > only be used a few times a week.
    >
    > I live in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy
    > a router and equipment needed in the UK that would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    Global Killa,

    I can answer one of your questions. I have PC's with Win 95a, Win98,
    and Win XP Pro all networked together (three wired and two wireless).
    No problem with different operating systems seeing each other.

    Scott

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > Hey all,
    > I want to setup a wireless network between 3 computers. I want each
    > computer to have access to the Internet so I'm thinking that I need a
    > wireless router and wireless network cards.
    > The problem I'm having is I don't really know much about routers, or
    > networking (only basic knowledge).
    >
    > What should I be looking for in a router when I'm shopping around?
    > I've also heard a lot about the security of wireless networks, and people
    > from outside your house can gain access to the network easily. Is this true,
    > or is this just because those people haven't setup the network/router
    > correctly?
    >
    > Do all the computers need to be running the same OS? Two are running Windows
    > XP and the other Windows ME. Will this cause a problem when networking them
    > together?
    >
    > One more thing, because the Internet connection is being shared, does that
    > mean that each computer is set a bandwidth or does it adjust itself
    > according to demand by the computer?
    > One computer is used a lot on the Internet, and the other two will only be
    > used a few times a week.
    >
    > I live in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy a
    > router and equipment needed in the UK that would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"

Wireless Network Internet Wireless Networking