Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I am buying the parts to build a P4 2.5 system. I am stuck on which MB to get. I just wanted to know if anybody knew anything about these boards:

ASUS P4PE
ASUS P4S8X
MSI 845PE-Max

I have been trying to find reviews of them, but cannot find a straight answer. I know all the features each has. I just need to know how good each one is. Thanks in advance.

If I hear, <b>DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL</b>, one more time... I put up with it because my boss told me to.

psnathan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
First off, I see you have two different chipsets here. I'm not very familiar with the SIS but the 845PE has been around for quite sometime and is a tested and proven solution. In my opinion it doesn't really matter what brand the 845PE board you buy(as long it is one of the known manufacturers), it should work fine.

I personally have tried the P4PE and works flawlessly. I have always used ASUS boards(around 7 boards already) and never had any complaint. MSI is a decent company too. I have read that Albatron's 845PE board is quite good also.

If you want dual channel support go for the Intel's Granite bay boards. Not that I'm against SIS/P4S8X or something but I always go with the mainstream. Asus P4G8X and Gigabyte 8INXP(not sure if I spelled it correctly) are nice Dual channel boards but very costly though.

Conclusion : If you have decided to buy the system NOW go with the 845PE boards(ASUS P4PE prefered) and if you are in no hurry, I think prices of the granite bay boards will stabilize in a month or two. And by that time, price of the P4 processors will drop too with Intel's new debut :)!

Happy assembling.

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I have a P4PE and love it. I was deciding on the P4S8x also. Basically boiled down to whether I wanted 8X AGP (P4S8X) or HT support (P4PE).

Yay, I'm a freakin' noob.