old motherboard question

xilamu11

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Hi all!

My sister just got an old computer for free to access internet at home.

The problem is she doesn't have all the disk and stuff..
So tonight I wanted to connect her to the internet; but when I've open the box to see what modem model it was; I've realized that their where no modem card; The input for the telephone cord is right on the mother board.
And the big problem is that we know the computer was connected to the internet right before my sister have it; but it's weird because when I've tryed to connect my sister for the first time; Windows(98) ask to install the modem and it couln't find any.
So Windows ask me to choose from a wide selection of models but I don't know it!!.

The computer is an old IBM; with a Pentium 1 processor.
I don't even know the name of the motherboard; I guess it's IBM?

Anyway I thought that their should be alot of old guru that had a computer like this a couple years ago that could help me out?

Thank you!
Sorry for the English!

at

The question isn't who's gonna drop the first one;
it's are we still gonna be alive to know who?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is the modem built into the soundcard?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
What does the front of the case say for model and manufacturer? Usually when you start the computer up during POST, at the bottom of the screen is a long string of numbers on the last line. Hit scroll lock and write those numbers down and present them here.

As I recall there were mobos like Packard Bell that had a little modem riser that made the modem appear to be built into the mobo. Then there are also AMR cards that some of the older motherboard designs incorporated. These are also present in some of the newer mobos from the likes of MSI. And finally, there were modem headers (set of pinouts) that you connected a card to via a short ribbon cable (or no ribbon cable).

Can you describe how the modem is built into the mobo?

Can you look on the main PCB of the motherboard (after blowing away all the dust, hehe) and write down any significant letters/numbers in big white lettering?

In various versions of Windows, including 98 and 98SE Microsoft did not include drivers, so that's why you got the "not detected" message. Microsoft seems to have only incorporated drivers for the most popular brand names and a few oddities.