My Computer ahs recently been worked on by a shop and it involved installing
Windows XP Pro as well as other upgrades
..
Today I cannot boot up the computer because it produces a Dialog Box stating
that the Password has expired and to insert a new one, but to do that I also
have to insert the old Password, which I have not got because this is the
first time any Password has been asked for although I have been using the
computer now for couple of months!

The person who worked on my computer in the shop is no longer with them.
How do I overcome this problem? How do I get rid of this Password procedure
for good, since I am the only one using the computer and do not need a
Password?

Hi

Please see if the following link helps:

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:ObOxDQ41EHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My Computer ahs recently been worked on by a shop and it involved
> installing Windows XP Pro as well as other upgrades
> .
> Today I cannot boot up the computer because it produces a Dialog Box
> stating that the Password has expired and to insert a new one, but to do
> that I also have to insert the old Password, which I have not got because
> this is the first time any Password has been asked for although I have
> been using the computer now for couple of months!
>
> The person who worked on my computer in the shop is no longer with them.
> How do I overcome this problem? How do I get rid of this Password
> procedure for good, since I am the only one using the computer and do not
> need a Password?

Hi,

Many thanks, but I will need more of your help. One of the instructions
states:

6. Log in to any account that has Administrator access.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select the user and change the password.

Which account has the Administrator access in Win.XPPro, or can I go
directly to the Control Panel and follow on from there?

Then the next instruction says:

7. Windows XP Pro:
At the log-in screen, press Ctrl/Alt/Del twice quickly
Type "Administrator" and leave password blank.

At what stage of the boot up should I press the keys or having done all
under instruction 6 I just continue using the new password?

Thank you in anticipation. Jan

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following link helps:
>
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
> message news:ObOxDQ41EHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> My Computer ahs recently been worked on by a shop and it involved
>> installing Windows XP Pro as well as other upgrades
>> .
>> Today I cannot boot up the computer because it produces a Dialog Box
>> stating that the Password has expired and to insert a new one, but to do
>> that I also have to insert the old Password, which I have not got because
>> this is the first time any Password has been asked for although I have
>> been using the computer now for couple of months!
>>
>> The person who worked on my computer in the shop is no longer with them.
>> How do I overcome this problem? How do I get rid of this Password
>> procedure for good, since I am the only one using the computer and do not
>> need a Password?

Jan;
For step 6 you need access to an account with Administrator access
No one here will be able to tell you which you have set up as
Administrators.
Go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
If you only see the account you logged in as, you aren't in an
Administrator account, try another.

For #7, the log in screen refers to the screen that shows the
available users you can log in to.
It is the screen the computer sits after boot waiting for you to make
a selection.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

in message news:OXkhnC71EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks, but I will need more of your help. One of the
> instructions states:
>
> 6. Log in to any account that has Administrator access.
> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> Select the user and change the password.
>
> Which account has the Administrator access in Win.XPPro, or can I go
> directly to the Control Panel and follow on from there?
>
> Then the next instruction says:
>
> 7. Windows XP Pro:
> At the log-in screen, press Ctrl/Alt/Del twice quickly
> Type "Administrator" and leave password blank.
>
> At what stage of the boot up should I press the keys or having done
> all under instruction 6 I just continue using the new password?
>
> Thank you in anticipation. Jan

>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following link helps:
>>
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk>
>> wrote in message news:ObOxDQ41EHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> My Computer ahs recently been worked on by a shop and it involved
>>> installing Windows XP Pro as well as other upgrades
>>> .
>>> Today I cannot boot up the computer because it produces a Dialog
>>> Box stating that the Password has expired and to insert a new one,
>>> but to do that I also have to insert the old Password, which I
>>> have not got because this is the first time any Password has been
>>> asked for although I have been using the computer now for couple
>>> of months!
>>>
>>> The person who worked on my computer in the shop is no longer with
>>> them.
>>> How do I overcome this problem? How do I get rid of this Password
>>> procedure for good, since I am the only one using the computer and
>>> do not need a Password?

try 'control passwords2' from the run command. It gets you to all
the users and allows you to set up one user.
TonySper

[...]

Many thanks. I have resolved the problem!