Sign in with
Your question

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

Last response: in Video Games
September 27, 2008 11:58:33 AM

I love the world of FEAR.

I've replayed the original several times and almost made it to the end of Extraction Point before petering out (I'm sure I'll finish it eventually).

Is Perseus Mandate true to the feel of the original game?

I don't care so much about it being a "great" game. A decent romp through familiar territory would be enough for me.

More about : perseus mandate

September 27, 2008 3:51:00 PM

Not really, since both Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate were made by a different studio the feel of the game is very different, FEAR: EP had a few spook scenes and was kinda fun overall, but didn't exactly follow the same FEAR formula.

Perseus mandate is even more different, I'd say there's A LOT of mindless shooting and very little storytelling (which is what made FEAR great IMO). It's okay if you want some nice FEAR action without the story, but if you're looking at the game as a whole, then it's not the same thing.
September 27, 2008 4:48:07 PM

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents since I too am quite the FEAR fan.

Extraction Point was a great expansion, and even though it was developed by Timegate instead of Monolith, I still felt like it held true to the original game: same kind of eerie atmosphere, freakish enemies, and horrific moments. In fact, I'd argue that the scene with Point Man and Holiday in the warehouse is scarier than anything in the original FEAR. So while Extraction Point was short, it was still a great experience for me.

Perseus Mandate? Not so much. For one, this expansion introduces a new FEAR team and playable character, so it diverges completely from the first two games. Second, the level design and enemies begin to feel redundant after playing the first two titles. There's just not much new to PM -- no surprises, no shocking frights. And lastly, the animation/graphics didn't look nearly as strong as Extraction Point. It felt like the expansion had been dumbed down a little for console play, but that's just my opinion.
Related resources
September 27, 2008 7:38:05 PM

I found it to be pretty good, they added many more spooky scenes, though there kinda like the ones from the original and extraction point, they seem to have added like 5 times as many of them and other freaky stuff

it is a really good game with almost no story line

fear pm is a good game that doesn't really need a storyline since you cant really give it a deep exciting story anyway

and if you really want to have fun, load up some cheats and trainers then explore the game a bit

PS if you really like exploring, get stalker shadow of Chernobyl and clearsky
(shadow of Chernobyl has more to explore though just be sure to have a unlimited health cheat )
September 27, 2008 8:24:04 PM

razor512 said:
I found it to be pretty good, they added many more spooky scenes, though there kinda like the ones from the original and extraction point, they seem to have added like 5 times as many of them and other freaky stuff

it is a really good game with almost no story line

fear pm is a good game that doesn't really need a storyline since you cant really give it a deep exciting story anyway

and if you really want to have fun, load up some cheats and trainers then explore the game a bit

PS if you really like exploring, get stalker shadow of Chernobyl and clearsky
(shadow of Chernobyl has more to explore though just be sure to have a unlimited health cheat )

You know that the whole point of STALKER games is survival and equipment/supplies scavenging, so by cheating you are basically defeating the purpose of the game and turning it into a generic shooter.... Oh well, to it's each their own, I love both STALKER games, especially playing them on Master, it really is a grueling, unforgiving difficulty setting, but I keep coming back for more.
September 28, 2008 4:44:23 AM

I cant play Perseus Mandate cause it wont run on 64 bit :( 
September 28, 2008 3:35:02 PM

I bought FEAR, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate pretty recently. I played FEAR pretty much non stop until I finished it (really wanted to know how it all turned out) and loved every minute of it. I'm now in the middle of Extraction Point and have been playing it on and off for about a month and I just can't get into it. It doesn't have the same feel as the original and I think the only motivation I had to play through it is to get any extra story before Project Origin comes out.

Now I find out that Project Origin is a straight sequel to FEAR by the original creators and acts like EP and PM never existed. Bah! Well, I guess they're always there for a rainy day... when I have no other games to play... and no internet connection. :) 
September 28, 2008 5:02:53 PM

Looks like I'm going to be holding out for FEAR 2.

Maybe I'll drag out the old EP and finally get to the end. Or maybe replay FEAR again.

!