Sign in with
Your question

ASUS A7M266 Upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2003 5:52:18 AM

Hello:

I've been a proud owner of an ASUS A7M266 motherboard running an Athlon 1.2Ghz chip for almost 2 years now. I have recently decided it's time for an upgrade, so I've been systemicatically been upgrading various parts of my machine. The chip/mobo and memory are the only things that are really left to do.

For some reason I really like this motherboard and hope to possibly keep it through the upgrade (especially since it's been working real well with my RAM). So my question is, does anyone know what's the fastest Athlon that the A7M266 supports?

I'm pretty sure it goes up to the mid Athlon XP's (like an 1800+), but I don't think upgrading by 600MHz would really be worth my money.

Thanks for your help.

Complete system specs:
ASUS A7M266 + Athlon 1.2GHz + 1GB PC2100 DDR
ATI 9700 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Ethernet, DVD, CD-RW, etc, etc, etc...

More about : asus a7m266 upgrade

February 10, 2003 8:05:59 AM

From the <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as..." target="_new">asus</A> (slow at the moment) site, your board can support upto Athlon XP 2100+ (Model 6 = Palomino Core) with bios 1007. I think you need a faster cpu to go along with you ATI R9700 Pro.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>
February 10, 2003 10:50:41 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks.

Which one would you think is more cost effective, upgrading to a Palomino 2100+, or ditching the entire mobo/chip and getting something along the lines of a 2600+ or 2800+ (not Barton)? I was considering doing waiting for the new 64bit Hammers, but who knows when that'll happen...

Thanks.
February 11, 2003 4:17:53 AM

Well, I'm not too sure. It all depends on what you want and need.

If you go 2100+ then it'll just cost you ~$80 (from pricewatch). Pretty cheap upgrade and you should notice some difference in performance.

On the other hand if you go 2600+/2800+, it cost you ~$250/$383 just for the cpu. You then have to pick a M/B and maybe get new faster ram so it'll cost you more, but bigger performance jump.

If you can wait, the Athlon 64 comes out this Sept. (hopefully no more delays), so you can get it then or wait til chipsets mature before getting it.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>
!