Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

is this group restricted to short distances?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 2:18:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

reason I ask is that I am considering putting up a
wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
rural area with no DSL or Cable. Only competition
is DirecWay Satellite and 56 Kbps dialup.

I am currently looking at Cirronet but it is limited to
60 users although that might be more than I would
ever get.

Appreciate your thoughts. Am interested in 2.4 Ghz
technology.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 4:34:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

> wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very

Not sure where you live - in Europe this is illegal, because you'll need
more than 100 mW EIRP. And certainly you'll need more APs with sector
antennas to do it well (i.e. illegal but functional :) .

Paul
August 25, 2004 4:34:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Pawe³ wrote:

>>wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
>
>
> Not sure where you live - in Europe this is illegal, because you'll need
> more than 100 mW EIRP. And certainly you'll need more APs with sector
> antennas to do it well (i.e. illegal but functional :) .
>
> Paul

If you took a brief moment to look at his headers you'd see that he is
in Texas (or at least using Texas.RR) where it is not illegal and higher
power equipment is readily available and perfectly legal when used as
designed. A single omni might cover the area he mentioned, but I agree
that sector antennas are better. A couple of 180­° sector antennas and a
couple of APs to load balance 30 users each would be a better way to go.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 12:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

> If you took a brief moment to look at his headers you'd see that he is
> in Texas (or at least using Texas.RR) where it is not illegal and higher

OK :)  BTW, what's the EIRP limit in the US?

Paul
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 8:18:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in news:412c13f9$0$7507$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> If you took a brief moment to look at his headers you'd see that he is
> in Texas

Why bother looking at the headers. The original poster should of been more
clear.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 8:18:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Pawel" <hajto@salbis.net> wrote in news:cghbuk$eq3$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl:

> OK :)  BTW, what's the EIRP limit in the US?

I **believe** 1 MW.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 8:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in
news:Xns95507D3D4DF4Fnntprogerscom@140.99.99.130:

>
> I **believe** 1 MW.
>
>

Oops... i mean 1W :p 

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 9:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

bobe <laodecia2001@hotmail.com> wrote:
> reason I ask is that I am considering putting up a
> wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
> rural area with no DSL or Cable. Only competition
> is DirecWay Satellite and 56 Kbps dialup.

A problem with "very rural" is that the unlicensed solutions are pretty
short range.

To get from my house to my neighbor's house would require directional
antennas. That wouldn't lend itself to "covering" a 5 mile area.
Five square miles from my last house would only be about 10 houses.

There are some commercial solutions that use point-to-point licensed
frquencies, and repeat from one customer to the next, but those might be
just as pricey as a DirecWay setup.

You would need a pretty good feed to support multiple users.

Someone else looked at your post and decided that you were in Texas.
http://www.bbwexchange.com/mblast/mblast_portal.asp?hdn...

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
August 25, 2004 9:24:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

bobe wrote:
> reason I ask is that I am considering putting up a
> wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
> rural area with no DSL or Cable. Only competition
> is DirecWay Satellite and 56 Kbps dialup.
>
> I am currently looking at Cirronet but it is limited to
> 60 users although that might be more than I would
> ever get.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts. Am interested in 2.4 Ghz
> technology.


I use smartBridges 2.4Ghz stuff and one of my APs is on a small tower on
a hilltop connected to a 180° sector antenna. With that I have
connections at about 3 miles that have very good signal strength and
throughput. I'm sure I'd be able to connect at even further distances
but the lay of the land doesn't allow for that. And these units aren't
running at the maximum allowed by the FCC (they're rated +17.5 dBm max,
or about 56 mw) but are obviously more effective than the off-the-shelf
stuff from Best Buy. I've heard good things about Cirronet but have
never used them.

The main advice I'd give is make sure your internet feed is okay to
resell (I have a T1) and make sure you have a tower/watertank/tall
building that will be high enough to establish line of site connections.
You also need to figure out how you're going to deal with IP address
issues, email server, DNS server and so forth. And don't forget
marketing. If you think that by putting up an AP and telling people they
can get fast internet and they'll then beat a path to your door, you're
dreaming.
August 25, 2004 9:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Anon-E-Moose wrote:
> Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in news:412c13f9$0$7507$c3e8da3
> @news.astraweb.com:
>
>
>>If you took a brief moment to look at his headers you'd see that he is
>>in Texas
>
>
> Why bother looking at the headers. The original poster should of been more
> clear.

Why assume he's in Europe and it's illegal to do what he suggests?
Nobody *needs* to look at the headers, I just thought it better than
assuming he's breaking the law.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 12:01:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Anon-E-Moose" <anon-e-moose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95507D27BE20Danonemooseyahoocom@140.99.99.130...
> Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in news:412c13f9$0$7507$c3e8da3
> @news.astraweb.com:
>
> > If you took a brief moment to look at his headers you'd see that he is
> > in Texas
>
> Why bother looking at the headers. The original poster should of been more
> clear.
>
Your correct Anon, I should have stated in what country I was trying to use
it but actually, that thought never crossed my mind.

So I apologize, I guess I was more interested to know if I was in the
correct group than I was with what countries might be involved in an answer
to my question.

Thanks,
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 5:54:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
news:412D03A0.9070703@your.isp.com...
> bobe wrote:
> > reason I ask is that I am considering putting up a
> > wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
> > rural area with no DSL or Cable. Only competition
> > is DirecWay Satellite and 56 Kbps dialup.
> >
> > I am currently looking at Cirronet but it is limited to
> > 60 users although that might be more than I would
> > ever get.
> >
> > Appreciate your thoughts. Am interested in 2.4 Ghz
> > technology.
>
>
> I use smartBridges 2.4Ghz stuff and one of my APs is on a small tower on
> a hilltop connected to a 180° sector antenna. With that I have
> connections at about 3 miles that have very good signal strength and
> throughput. I'm sure I'd be able to connect at even further distances
> but the lay of the land doesn't allow for that. And these units aren't
> running at the maximum allowed by the FCC (they're rated +17.5 dBm max,
> or about 56 mw) but are obviously more effective than the off-the-shelf
> stuff from Best Buy. I've heard good things about Cirronet but have
> never used them.
>
> The main advice I'd give is make sure your internet feed is okay to
> resell (I have a T1) and make sure you have a tower/watertank/tall
> building that will be high enough to establish line of site connections.
> You also need to figure out how you're going to deal with IP address
> issues, email server, DNS server and so forth. And don't forget
> marketing. If you think that by putting up an AP and telling people they
> can get fast internet and they'll then beat a path to your door, you're
> dreaming.
>
Ok Roger thanks for the advice.

I'll take a look at Smart Bridges. Regardless of which package I chose, I
will have many challenges to face.

My access to the Internet is via VSAT on Ku-band with a 512 Kbps X 128 Kbps
space segment using a Netmodem II+. So, unlike you, I have to contend with
latency problems as well on the primary feed.

But it keeps me mobile to a degree.

If you don't mind, what equipment would you recommend from Smart Bridges for
one AP and Atenna plus 3 Subscriber Units and a reseller for it? Can't
afford much in the beginning.

Thanks Roger
August 26, 2004 5:54:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

bobe wrote:

> "Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> news:412D03A0.9070703@your.isp.com...
>
>>bobe wrote:
>>
>>>reason I ask is that I am considering putting up a
>>>wireless AP to cover a 5 mile square area in a very
>>>rural area with no DSL or Cable. Only competition
>>>is DirecWay Satellite and 56 Kbps dialup.
>>>
>>>I am currently looking at Cirronet but it is limited to
>>>60 users although that might be more than I would
>>>ever get.
>>>
>>>Appreciate your thoughts. Am interested in 2.4 Ghz
>>>technology.
>>
>>
>>I use smartBridges 2.4Ghz stuff and one of my APs is on a small tower on
>>a hilltop connected to a 180° sector antenna. With that I have
>>connections at about 3 miles that have very good signal strength and
>>throughput. I'm sure I'd be able to connect at even further distances
>>but the lay of the land doesn't allow for that. And these units aren't
>>running at the maximum allowed by the FCC (they're rated +17.5 dBm max,
>>or about 56 mw) but are obviously more effective than the off-the-shelf
>>stuff from Best Buy. I've heard good things about Cirronet but have
>>never used them.
>>
>>The main advice I'd give is make sure your internet feed is okay to
>>resell (I have a T1) and make sure you have a tower/watertank/tall
>>building that will be high enough to establish line of site connections.
>>You also need to figure out how you're going to deal with IP address
>>issues, email server, DNS server and so forth. And don't forget
>>marketing. If you think that by putting up an AP and telling people they
>>can get fast internet and they'll then beat a path to your door, you're
>>dreaming.
>>
>
> Ok Roger thanks for the advice.
>
> I'll take a look at Smart Bridges. Regardless of which package I chose, I
> will have many challenges to face.
>
> My access to the Internet is via VSAT on Ku-band with a 512 Kbps X 128 Kbps
> space segment using a Netmodem II+. So, unlike you, I have to contend with
> latency problems as well on the primary feed.
>
> But it keeps me mobile to a degree.
>
> If you don't mind, what equipment would you recommend from Smart Bridges for
> one AP and Atenna plus 3 Subscriber Units and a reseller for it? Can't
> afford much in the beginning.
>
> Thanks Roger

The airPointPro Outdoor is what I've been using. smartBridges doesn't
make separate antennas but there's a list of FCC approved antennas. I
use an 8dbi omni at one location, but it's not meant for really long
distance use. For CPEs (or subscriber units to some) the airBridge
Totals are nice. Just one box to mount, run the Cat5 indoors, hook up
the power injector and Bob's your uncle. Take a look at
www.electro-comm.com.

I subscribe to several mailing lists to help keep up with things to some
degree. You might want to try mailto:join-isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com
for the ISP-Wireless list and the smartBridges list is
mailto:imailsrv@part-15.org (in the body type subscribe smartBridges
<yournickname>)
!