wireless help - how secure am I?

Hi,

I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is working
perfectly.

My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers that are
next to the clock (bottom right) and r-click then go into "view available
wireless networks".
I see two and sometimes three others.
I am still connected via the one I set up.
But it seems to me if I can see them they can see me. How will I know if
someone is on my network.
When I highlight one of the network it says I need a network key to get in.
I know I have not set anything like that up.
I also know that I have not activated the Firewall. When I click advanced
and then configure there are no checkmarks in: Data encryption WEP enabled
or in: Network Authentication.
Also in the wireless network connection properties there is an advanced tab
when I click it Nothing is checked.
I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection properties
but then I couldn't access the internet.

Am I completely exposed?

Thanks for any advice.

IS.

The necessary changes you need to make is from within the router's
configuration menu. See your manual for the specific IP address to type
in from your browser's address bar.(usually 192.168.0.1 or a variation).
Enter the router's menu via a computer that is wired to the internet and
not from a wireless device. Anyway, once inside the "router's" menu,
change the SSID to one of your choice. The SSID is the name you call your
wireles network. Afterwards, enable encryption, preferrably WPA, and type
in a long passphrase using number, letters and symbols. Enable MAC
filtering then type in the MAC address of your wireless device(s). This
should be enough to get you started. While you're viewing the router's
menu, take the time to familiarize yourself with all of it's
capabilities. Also, you can view the contents of your log and find
interesting info, provided that your router keeps detailed information.
Also, you should be able to see what devices are currently connected to
your router. If there is a refresh button, click it. Well, I hope this
information helps you. Take care.

"IS" <bs@bs.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is
> working perfectly.
>
> My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers
> that are next to the clock (bottom right) and r-click then go into
> "view available wireless networks".
> I see two and sometimes three others.
> I am still connected via the one I set up.
> But it seems to me if I can see them they can see me. How will I know
> if someone is on my network.
> When I highlight one of the network it says I need a network key to
> get in. I know I have not set anything like that up.
> I also know that I have not activated the Firewall. When I click
> advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in: Data
> encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> Also in the wireless network connection properties there is an
> advanced tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> properties but then I couldn't access the internet.
>
> Am I completely exposed?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> IS.

Doug,
Thanks a lot for this info.
I will follow your steps and see what I can come up with.

"Doug Jamal" <bishiv6ERASEATYAHOODOTCOM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The necessary changes you need to make is from within the router's
> configuration menu. See your manual for the specific IP address to type
> in from your browser's address bar.(usually 192.168.0.1 or a variation).
> Enter the router's menu via a computer that is wired to the internet and
> not from a wireless device. Anyway, once inside the "router's" menu,
> change the SSID to one of your choice. The SSID is the name you call your
> wireles network. Afterwards, enable encryption, preferrably WPA, and type
> in a long passphrase using number, letters and symbols. Enable MAC
> filtering then type in the MAC address of your wireless device(s). This
> should be enough to get you started. While you're viewing the router's
> menu, take the time to familiarize yourself with all of it's
> capabilities. Also, you can view the contents of your log and find
> interesting info, provided that your router keeps detailed information.
> Also, you should be able to see what devices are currently connected to
> your router. If there is a refresh button, click it. Well, I hope this
> information helps you. Take care.
>

> "IS" <bs@bs.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is
> > working perfectly.
> >
> > My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers
> > that are next to the clock (bottom right) and r-click then go into
> > "view available wireless networks".
> > I see two and sometimes three others.
> > I am still connected via the one I set up.
> > But it seems to me if I can see them they can see me. How will I know
> > if someone is on my network.
> > When I highlight one of the network it says I need a network key to
> > get in. I know I have not set anything like that up.
> > I also know that I have not activated the Firewall. When I click
> > advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in: Data
> > encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> > Also in the wireless network connection properties there is an
> > advanced tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> > I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> > properties but then I couldn't access the internet.
> >
> > Am I completely exposed?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > IS.

TRENDING THREADS