First time installation - need advice

I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive

before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro

Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and need some advice.

I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I should create a
partition with just the OS on it - then install everything else on a second
(or other) partition.
The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you install an
application - the DLLs get installed in the System32 directory anyway - so
no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition - it all gets hosed
anyway.

So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set this system
up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)

Any ideas here?
11 answers Last reply
More about first time installation advice

    I like to have several partitions because I can install the
    OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can format
    C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    safe. You can reinstall quickly.

    Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost more
    money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your CDROM/RW
    DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with paths
    and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped as
    W:.X:, Y:

    "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:efFHPt$1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    |
    | before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    |
    | Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and
    need some advice.

    | I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I
    should create a
    | partition with just the OS on it - then install everything
    else on a second
    | (or other) partition.
    | The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you
    install an
    | application - the DLLs get installed in the System32
    directory anyway - so
    | no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition -
    it all gets hosed
    | anyway.
    |
    | So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set
    this system
    | up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    |

    | Any ideas here?

    "Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)"
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    Ted Zieglar

    "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    >
    > before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    >
    > Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and need some
    > advice.
    >
    > I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I should create a
    > partition with just the OS on it - then install everything else on a
    > second
    > (or other) partition.
    > The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you install an
    > application - the DLLs get installed in the System32 directory anyway - so
    > no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition - it all gets
    > hosed
    > anyway.
    >
    > So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set this system
    > up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    >

    > Any ideas here?

    That's a really great reference, and I'll definintely use it when I
    install - -
    however it doesn't address whether it's best to create separate partitions
    on a clean install, or whether to just keep one - - I probably didn't make
    myself very clear - what I need advice on, is whether or not to install
    multiple partitions - the pros and cons

    does it really matter at all?

    > "Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)"
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    > >
    > > before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    > >
    > > Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and need some
    > > advice.
    > >
    > > I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I should create a
    > > partition with just the OS on it - then install everything else on a
    > > second
    > > (or other) partition.
    > > The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you install an
    > > application - the DLLs get installed in the System32 directory anyway -
    so
    > > no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition - it all gets
    > > hosed
    > > anyway.
    > >
    > > So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set this system
    > > up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    > >

    > > Any ideas here?

    Windows XP works very well in one partition. Whether or not to repartition
    your hard disk is a matter of convenience, not performance. You may find it
    convenient to place your data files on a separate partition.

    Ted Zieglar

    > That's a really great reference, and I'll definintely use it when I
    > install - -
    > however it doesn't address whether it's best to create separate partitions
    > on a clean install, or whether to just keep one - - I probably didn't make
    > myself very clear - what I need advice on, is whether or not to install
    > multiple partitions - the pros and cons
    >
    > does it really matter at all?

    >> "Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)"
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    >> >
    >> > before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    >> >
    >> > Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and need some
    >> > advice.
    >> >
    >> > I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I should create
    >> > partition with just the OS on it - then install everything else on a
    >> > second
    >> > (or other) partition.
    >> > The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you install an
    >> > application - the DLLs get installed in the System32 directory anyway -
    > so
    >> > no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition - it all gets
    >> > hosed
    >> > anyway.
    >> >
    >> > So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set this system
    >> > up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    >> >

    >> > Any ideas here?

    I will (and presently, do) have a lot of apps - so, even a format/reinstall
    would take a long time, either way - - and I'm fairly sure 95% (or more) of
    the apps I use bloat the registry a little/lot.

    I never thought of the fact that you can make My Documents go to another
    drive - - I just thought it was integrated into the system some way - - so
    if I move the whole My Documents folder from where it is (documents and
    settings/etc), to another dirve - and then just change the path to that
    location in the desktop icon's path - that's all there is to it?

    > I like to have several partitions because I can install the
    > OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    > Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can format
    > C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    > emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    > safe. You can reinstall quickly.
    >
    > Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost more
    > money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your CDROM/RW
    > DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with paths
    > and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped as
    > W:.X:, Y:

    > "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    > message news:efFHPt$1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    > |
    > | before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    > |
    > | Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and
    > need some advice.
    > |
    > | I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I
    > should create a
    > | partition with just the OS on it - then install everything
    > else on a second
    > | (or other) partition.
    > | The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you
    > install an
    > | application - the DLLs get installed in the System32
    > directory anyway - so
    > | no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition -
    > it all gets hosed
    > | anyway.
    > |
    > | So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set
    > this system
    > | up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    > |

    > | Any ideas here?

    In XP, click START, right click on My Documents, select
    properties and you'll find a "move" button. You still need
    to change the "store folder" for Outlook Express/Outlook.
    It makes things a lot more secure in case of a system crash.

    "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:u$s%23aHC2EHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    |I will (and presently, do) have a lot of apps - so, even a
    format/reinstall
    | would take a long time, either way - - and I'm fairly sure
    95% (or more) of
    | the apps I use bloat the registry a little/lot.
    |
    | I never thought of the fact that you can make My Documents
    go to another
    | drive - - I just thought it was integrated into the system
    some way - - so
    | if I move the whole My Documents folder from where it is
    (documents and
    | settings/etc), to another dirve - and then just change the
    path to that
    | location in the desktop icon's path - that's all there is
    to it?

    in message
    | > I like to have several partitions because I can install
    the
    | > OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    | > Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can
    format
    | > C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    | > emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    | > safe. You can reinstall quickly.
    | >
    | > Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost
    more
    | > money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your
    CDROM/RW
    | > DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with
    paths
    | > and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped
    as
    | > W:.X:, Y:
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    | > message news:efFHPt$1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | > | I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard
    drive
    | > |
    | > | before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    | > |
    | > | Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time
    and
    | > need some advice.
    | > |
    | > | I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that
    | > should create a
    | > | partition with just the OS on it - then install
    everything
    | > else on a second
    | > | (or other) partition.
    | > | The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you
    | > install an
    | > | application - the DLLs get installed in the System32
    | > directory anyway - so
    | > | no matter what, if something happens to the OS
    partition -
    | > it all gets hosed
    | > | anyway.
    | > |
    | > | So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to
    set
    | > this system
    | > | up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing
    it)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Any ideas here?
    | > |
    | > |

    "I'm fairly sure 95% (or more) of the apps I use bloat the registry a
    little/lot."

    Funny, none of my applications "bloat" the registry. Guess we use entirely
    different applications.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I will (and presently, do) have a lot of apps - so, even a format/reinstall
    > would take a long time, either way - - and I'm fairly sure 95% (or more)
    > of
    > the apps I use bloat the registry a little/lot.
    >
    > I never thought of the fact that you can make My Documents go to another
    > drive - - I just thought it was integrated into the system some way - - so
    > if I move the whole My Documents folder from where it is (documents and
    > settings/etc), to another dirve - and then just change the path to that
    > location in the desktop icon's path - that's all there is to it?
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> I like to have several partitions because I can install the
    >> OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    >> Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can format
    >> C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    >> emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    >> safe. You can reinstall quickly.
    >>
    >> Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost more
    >> money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your CDROM/RW
    >> DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with paths
    >> and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped as
    >> W:.X:, Y:
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >> "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:efFHPt$1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> | I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    >> |
    >> | before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    >> |
    >> | Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and
    >> need some advice.
    >> |
    >> | I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I
    >> should create a
    >> | partition with just the OS on it - then install everything
    >> else on a second
    >> | (or other) partition.
    >> | The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you
    >> install an
    >> | application - the DLLs get installed in the System32
    >> directory anyway - so
    >> | no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition -
    >> it all gets hosed
    >> | anyway.
    >> |
    >> | So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set
    >> this system
    >> | up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    >> |

    >> | Any ideas here?

    Unless you run the install through a program that logs all install data, you
    will never know! (-:

    Example: CDCreator 6 logs, among others, over 600 registry entries. Doesn't
    matter which drive/partition you install it to. The entries are still there
    (of course).

    And, I won't even mention a full install of any Office suit!

    Talk about registry bloat.

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "I'm fairly sure 95% (or more) of the apps I use bloat the registry a
    > little/lot."
    >
    > Funny, none of my applications "bloat" the registry. Guess we use entirely
    > different applications.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I will (and presently, do) have a lot of apps - so, even a
    >>format/reinstall
    >> would take a long time, either way - - and I'm fairly sure 95% (or more)
    >> of
    >> the apps I use bloat the registry a little/lot.
    >>
    >> I never thought of the fact that you can make My Documents go to another
    >> drive - - I just thought it was integrated into the system some way - -
    >> so
    >> if I move the whole My Documents folder from where it is (documents and
    >> settings/etc), to another dirve - and then just change the path to that
    >> location in the desktop icon's path - that's all there is to it?
    >>

    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> I like to have several partitions because I can install the
    >>> OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    >>> Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can format
    >>> C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    >>> emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    >>> safe. You can reinstall quickly.
    >>>
    >>> Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost more
    >>> money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your CDROM/RW
    >>> DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with paths
    >>> and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped as
    >>> W:.X:, Y:
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>>

    >>> "Elmo Watson" <sputnik75043@nospam.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:efFHPt$1EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    >>> need some advice.

    >>> should create a
    >>> else on a second
    >>> install an
    >>> directory anyway - so
    >>> it all gets hosed

    >>> this system

    How do you know it's "bloat"?

    Why not provide a list to Roxio of which keys could be safely eliminated
    from their software so as to eliminate "bloat". You seem to know a lot about
    the subject.

    Ted Zieglar

    Elmo Watson wrote:
    > I'm replacing my old HD with a new WD 250 Gb Hard drive
    >
    > before, I've only had a 40 Gb with Win2k Pro
    >
    > Now, I'm going to install WinXP Pro for the first time and need some
    > advice.
    >
    > I had heard, in the past, with large hard drives, that I should
    > create a partition with just the OS on it - then install everything
    > else on a second (or other) partition.
    > The flaw in this, as I can see it, is that, when you install an
    > application - the DLLs get installed in the System32 directory anyway
    > - so no matter what, if something happens to the OS partition - it
    > all gets hosed anyway.
    >
    > So - - I'm seeking advice on the most efficient way to set this system
    > up --- (for once, I'm asking BEFORE I'm actually doing it)
    >

    > Any ideas here?

    When you have the OS on it's own partition, it is easier to create an image
    backup of the OS partition and then a simple backup of the applications
    folder on the other partition. If the OS partition gets hosed, you can
    restore an image and all the applications and their settings, data etc. are
    intact. You only need to update the image when you make a change to the OS.
    Keeping the OS partition to the size of one or two DVD's makes it much
    quicker than 4 or more DVD's for a single unpartitioned hard drive.
    I usually have a XP partition of 8 to 10 gigs and depending on what you use
    your computer for determines the way the space is divided up.
    I would allow at least 20 gig for the application data partition and if I
    were downloading large video files, make the rest one big partition.
    There are many opinions on partitions and it is really a matter of how you
    use your computer that dictates the configuration. I do think having a
    manageable partition for the OS is a better arrangement than one big
    partition, but that is my opinion and what works for me.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:09:46 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >I like to have several partitions because I can install the
    >OS and applications to C: and use D:,E:,F: for My
    >Documents, downloaded files, which means that you can format
    >C: with the XP CD and reinstall clean and all your data,
    >emails and downloaded program, and video/music is still
    >safe. You can reinstall quickly.
    >
    >Having two or more physical drives is better, but cost more
    >money. Partitions are a nice compromise. Set your CDROM/RW
    >DVD as drive L: or M: so you don't have issues with paths
    >and renaming. When you network, drives will be mapped as
    >W:.X:, Y:

    I'm in a similar situation in that I am building a new system with a
    Seagate 200GB 7200rpm drive. I also have a Maxtor 40GB 5400rpm drive
    from my old system that I could use, or not. The Maxtor is 3yrs old,
    and has run more or less constantly the whole time.

    Would you lean towards putting the system on a partition of the new
    Seagate without using the Maxtor, or using the Maxtor for system and
    apps and keeping the Seagate for data.

    How much do you think performance would be affected by having the
    system on the slower Maxtor?

    Thanks,
    Mike

Partition Windows XP