Sign in with
Your question

Crysis Warhead Review

Last response: in Video Games
September 29, 2008 3:17:36 PM

Review by Ryan Lord.

Crysis Warhead, the stand-alone expansion to Crysis, aims to deliver optimized performance, an action-packed single-player campaign and an enhanced multiplayer experience. Does Crytek hit the mark?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/09/29/crysiswarhead_re...

More about : crysis warhead review

September 29, 2008 4:37:27 PM

Does it have that pesky DRM SecurRom?
September 29, 2008 4:50:15 PM

jeverson said:
Does it have that pesky DRM SecurRom?

Yes.

Quote:
The only final word I have is that there is obviously the DRM debate that some may consider due to EA's use of SecuROM, which limits the number of activations to five [Editor's Note: as a policy, Tom's Games does not consider DRM when scoring titles].

I haven't played multiplayer yet, on my 2nd play through in single, might do a third.
Related resources
September 29, 2008 5:08:57 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Then I guess I won't be getting it. :pfff:  I will not buy a product that punishes me for being a consumer and not being a pirate. :fou: 

A shame because I really enjoyed the first one. Oh well... their loss.
September 29, 2008 5:22:20 PM

jeverson said:
Quote:
Yes.

Then I guess I won't be getting it. :pfff:  I will not buy a product that punishes me for being a consumer and not being a pirate. :fou: 

I bought it, but I won't be buying anymore EA titles (and damn I wanted to get Mirror's Edge and Red Alert 3). Oh well, their loss. I'm happy to settle with Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead.
September 29, 2008 7:09:04 PM

I don't understand why EA doesn't just sign up with STEAM already. Everyone trusts STEAM and for good reason. It does what it's supposed to do and that's it. No root kits, no pissing of your customers, maybe harder to pirate. Granted, having to download a game of 2Gb+ is gonna be a bit lame but they could always just use the STEAM activation and not the full service. I just like the fact that all my STEAM games are kept up to date and if I rebuild my rig I can just download the latest client, log in, and it will download whatever games I have paid for (even if I have lost the discs and keys) and install them almost seamlessly. I can just let it run when I'm sleeping and then wake up refreshed and ready to game! :na: 
September 29, 2008 7:30:03 PM

jeverson said:
I don't understand why EA doesn't just sign up with STEAM already. Everyone trusts STEAM and for good reason. It does what it's supposed to do and that's it. No root kits, no pissing of your customers, maybe harder to pirate. Granted, having to download a game of 2Gb+ is gonna be a bit lame but they could always just use the STEAM activation and not the full service. I just like the fact that all my STEAM games are kept up to date and if I rebuild my rig I can just download the latest client, log in, and it will download whatever games I have paid for (even if I have lost the discs and keys) and install them almost seamlessly. I can just let it run when I'm sleeping and then wake up refreshed and ready to game! :na: 

Dude, Crysis Warhead IS on Steam. It's been on there since launch.
September 29, 2008 7:42:38 PM

Quote:

Really?

Thanks. I will check it out then. I haven't looked at my STEAM account in a while. Been busy with other games. Speaking of which, I need to play Audiosurf some more. A game I highly recommend if you haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Well... I guess I somewhat rescind my last post then... but it still doesn't change my stance of EA being "evil" :non:  for spreading confusion and using "evil" DRM...
September 29, 2008 8:47:42 PM

Yeah, both Crysis and Warhead are now on steam. In fact, I got warhead off steam. I'm a big fan of steam too, and I'm willing to bet that more and more games are going to be put on there (oh yeah, old games on steam is cool too).

Nice review. I liked warhead more than the original, and I think that Crytek is gonna move more copies of this game then they did with crysis.
September 29, 2008 10:10:06 PM

jeverson said:
Quote:
Yes.

Same here. I have a rule now: DRM = piratebay; no DRM = Buy it.
I also have the original Crysis and won´t buy any single game that punishes me for buying it!

How am I supposed to upgrade my VGA or PC (very likely for this game) if I waste one of my 5 shots for DRM? "They will probably get tha tool from spore and bla bla bla"... Don´t give me trouble for being a user, give me the game I bought!!!

I already hated EA for using Crytek in this game since their AI is always childish (take a look at any NFS: catch up is stupid and even physix changes in order to make you lose instead of using good oponent AI)

September 30, 2008 1:50:22 AM

Played through it, fun fun fun, although it raped my 8800GT...
September 30, 2008 6:02:46 AM

Nice review :) 

I got the game on release day, and played it to compleation through a very late night (man it's good to be a post grad). Must admit it was really a very plesant suprise, game play was polished and the graphics and cut scene's were jaw dropping, I really hope this game sells well, Crytek deserve a little bonus for being good to the fans :) 

I especially enjoyed some of the little quirks of the game, like finding Scrat chasing his achorn frozen into the ice, almost exactly like in Ice Age, it's little easter eggs like that and the wonderfull sanbox gameplay style that'll have me playing the single player campaign over and over again (;
September 30, 2008 1:59:58 PM

where was scrat? for future reference when I may or may not get this game....
September 30, 2008 2:01:44 PM

jeverson said:
Quote:

Really?

Thanks. I will check it out then. I haven't looked at my STEAM account in a while. Been busy with other games. Speaking of which, I need to play Audiosurf some more. A game I highly recommend if you haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Well... I guess I somewhat rescind my last post then... but it still doesn't change my stance of EA being "evil" :non:  for spreading confusion and using "evil" DRM...

I assume as with Bioshock (which is available on Steam), the game will come with SecuROM and an activation limit.
September 30, 2008 7:11:22 PM

Oh snap! Does the STEAM version come with SecurRom also? If so... NO SALE!

:non: 
September 30, 2008 10:54:59 PM

Huge glaring error throughout the article: Crysis multiplayer had Instant Action gameplay mode (it did not have Team Instant Action, however - that was a major complaint about multiplayer when Crysis was released). The review says that it only included Power Struggle. Might want to make that correction...

Steam version has SecuROM.
October 6, 2008 11:00:23 AM

Quote:
I am bit confused as to why the incendiary ammo was removed from the FY71 rifle, but it's really a minor complaint.

I'm confused too now, because I've been using the incendiary ammo option of the FY71 on several occasions in Warhead. :p 

It's still in there, just not available from the start. I think you need to pick up incendiary ammo first before you'll be able to choose it.
October 6, 2008 11:40:27 AM

byeriptor said:
Quote:
I am bit confused as to why the incendiary ammo was removed from the FY71 rifle, but it's really a minor complaint.

I'm confused too now, because I've been using the incendiary ammo option of the FY71 on several occasions in Warhead. :p 

It's still in there, just not available from the start. I think you need to pick up incendiary ammo first before you'll be able to choose it.

It was removed from multiplayer, not singleplayer.
October 7, 2008 2:28:21 PM

[Editor's Note: as a policy, Tom's Games does not consider DRM when scoring titles said:
. ][Editor's Note: as a policy, Tom's Games does not consider DRM when scoring titles].
This is wrong. You need to reconsider this. Who do you write your reviews for? The developer? Anything which impacts our enjoyment of the game should be used as part of the scoring criteria!
October 7, 2008 4:59:19 PM

bjornlo said:
This is wrong. You need to reconsider this. Who do you write your reviews for? The developer? Anything which impacts our enjoyment of the game should be used as part of the scoring criteria!

I see your point, Bjornlo. Believe me, we've thought about this a lot. But think of it this way: if we decide to knock down scores for PC games with DRM, then console games will always score higher than PC titles. :) 
!