h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and then
install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is there
another way

How old is the machine, please? Is your Norton AntiVirus subscription
current?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

rblo wrote:
> h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and then
> install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is
> there another way

Maybe you have a virus that prevent you from running Antivirus. I had once a
virus called MyDoom and it prevented my AV from scanning, running updates and
reinstalling.
Try scanning your system using online antivirus scan:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&bhcp=1

"PA Bear" wrote:

> How old is the machine, please? Is your Norton AntiVirus subscription
> current?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
>
> rblo wrote:
> > h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> > it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and then
> > install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is
> > there another way
> also have found something that said content blocked type ad url http//channels.aolsvc.co.uk/help/article.adp?id=20040928110709990001 aol live said nothing to do with them

have scanned as suggested and am clear of viruses

"Alex Levi" wrote:

> Maybe you have a virus that prevent you from running Antivirus. I had once a
> virus called MyDoom and it prevented my AV from scanning, running updates and
> reinstalling.
> Try scanning your system using online antivirus scan:
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&bhcp=1
>

> "rblo" wrote:
>

> > h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> > it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and then
> > install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is there
> > another way

Open Norton Av, and go to the help files, open Help & Support, then click on
HOme & Office, then click on the access free online support, then click on
automated support.. and see what that tells you. Post back with those
results.

Also,you could try , instead of clicking on automated support, go to the
next step, fill in the 2 required fields, hit in the Knowledge Base box
type in the exact error message that you receive.

You can also type in uninstall and reinstall, which will provide articles on
how to do both, and both will have the downloaded version of Norton, or the
Cd version...which do you have? If you have the downloaded version it will
tell you what folder to look in for your NAV installation files.

"rblo" <rblo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have scanned as suggested and am clear of viruses
>
> "Alex Levi" wrote:
>
> > Maybe you have a virus that prevent you from running Antivirus. I had
once a
> > virus called MyDoom and it prevented my AV from scanning, running
updates and
> > reinstalling.
> > Try scanning your system using online antivirus scan:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&bhcp=1

> > "rblo" wrote:
> >

> > > h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> > > it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and
then
> > > install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is
there
> > > another way

Try using Automated support assistant:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

Does it shows you any errors?

"rblo" wrote:

> have scanned as suggested and am clear of viruses
>
> "Alex Levi" wrote:
>
> > Maybe you have a virus that prevent you from running Antivirus. I had once a
> > virus called MyDoom and it prevented my AV from scanning, running updates and
> > reinstalling.
> > Try scanning your system using online antivirus scan:
> > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&bhcp=1
> >

> > "rblo" wrote:
> >

> > > h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> > > it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and then
> > > install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall it is there
> > > another way

Okay, I went offline so I hope I'm not repeating my self, If Norton came with
your machine It is only a "trial version" 90 days - you need to purchase
Norton Internet, it has anti virus, firewall, stops annoying adds and some
spyware. I really like it. or you can go to a good search engine and look for
"free anti virus programs" Panda is an excellent one. Spy Blaster was okay
but it was too technical and was not the total program. Adaware and SpyBot
are a must - you'll be amazed at how much spyware you get - SpyBot will give
all the information on the "cookies" good luck.

rblo wrote:
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > How old is the machine, please? Is your Norton AntiVirus subscription
> > current?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
> >
> > rblo wrote:
> > > h/p computer wont let me scan for viruses.
> > > it says it cannot find the task. have been advised to uninstall and
> > > then install again.but it came in the computer so how do i reinstall
> > > it is there another way
> >
> > bought it 2 weeks ago. have free norton until feb.o5

Contact h/p and/or Symantec.