Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I just bought the Asus P4S8X. I installed the HD and Optical drives on PRI and SEC IDE. When I boot the system it tells me that there is NO DRIVE ATTACHED TO THE FASTTRACK CONTROLLER. I have played with the bios, but cannot figure it out. Do I need to attach the drive to the PRI ATA 133 connector. Please help me with this, or I am going to take the board back and get an MSI. Thanks in advance.

If I hear, <b>DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL</b>, one more time... I put up with it because my boss told me to.

RCPilot

Champion
NO DRIVE ATTACHED TO THE FASTTRACK CONTROLLER
I haven't used that board. Does it have RAID? Usually it means that you have RAID onboard & no drives attached to the RAID Controller. If you set up a RAID Array it will go away.

Don't worry about it.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
It does have RAID. But I am trying to set it up through IDE.
It is really driving my nutts.

If I hear, <b>DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL</b>, one more time... I put up with it because my boss told me to.

RCPilot

Champion
Sorry it took me a bit to get back. You do have an IDE set up. The FasTrack is a RAID controller. What it is telling you is there are no drives hooked to it. That's fine, it just means that & only that. You can't turn it off. It will be there always in the posts. If you do ever decide to set up a RAID array, you'll plug the HDD's into the RAID controller & load the drivers & then & only then will it go away. It has no effect on the IDE set up what so ever. I have the same thing showing in my post. I run IDE on my MOBO with RAID & it shows every time I post also. It's normal.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
If you're not using the Raid controller chip disable it in the Bios and that message should go away. It does on my board.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s=8ae8909977d596e59e0ac8260313c4d0" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

RCPilot

Champion
Boy, am I missing something or what? I did at least 3 hours of searching the BIOS, MOBO manual, & Driver / utility CD that came with my board & I can not find anything to turn off the RAID controller.

What board are you running? I'm running the A7V8X myself.

In BIOS I see nothing there to turn on or off for RAID. In the Manual I see how to load the drivers for RAID & hook up the HDD's, but nothing to turn RAID on or off. I also see how to load the driver & set up a RAID, but I'm only running 1 HDD & have it plugged into the IDE connector on the board. On the CD I see the driver that I can install, but have never installed it because I'm not running RAID.

Do I need to install it to be able to turn it off? I'm afraid I'll lose my setup if I do that or it won't install because I don't have a HDD connected to it, one or the other.

In Device manager, I have no question marks. I do see the SCSI & RAID controllers, but in Properties all I see there is update the driver or roll back the driver.

Completely baffled! I've been running it like this since I built it in Nov. Seems to have no effect on the system, but it might. Bugs me to no end now. The explanation I got in Nov. is as I stated in my other posts. All it is telling me is that I don't have a drive attached to the RAID Controller, which I don't. What am I missing here? This is the first board I built with RAID onboard, so that's what concerns me. The A7N8X's I've built since I don't think I noticed it, course it's a different RAID & BIOS on those boards.

So could you look in your BIOS & see exactly what you turned off. Hey, that's what I'm here for to learn all the things I can. Appreciate the help for sure.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I had a quick look at your mobo at the Asus site. Looks like you have a Silicon Image® Sil 3112A Controller with 2 ports that Support RAID 0/1. On my mobo (See My System link) I have a Promise Raid Controller. Promise is the company that makes the chip. In the Bios in the integrated (onboard peripherals) I can disable the promise controller and the Mobo no longer checks for hard drives connected to it. Check in your Bios if there's an option to turn of your Silicon Image controller (Serial Ata).

Hope this clears it up.

PS if you don't turn it off it has absolutely no effect on your system. It just checks during boot up if there is anything connected to it.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s=8ae8909977d596e59e0ac8260313c4d0" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
It took my most of the night, but I finally got it. I don't know why, one of those computer things I guess. For some reason the first few times that I booted it would not recognize my CD rom drive to start WIN XP setup. After configuring the BIOS, which I had already done several times the same way, it finally loaded from the CD. Maybe it was just the excitement of a new system. Thanks for all the help guys.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I remember correctly, you <b>cannot</b> disable the Promise RAID via mobo's BIOS but only its <b>BIOS</b> (needed if you want to <b><font color=red>boot </b></font color=red> the HD attached to it). That way, it shouldn't give any message when POST if you have no drive attached to it.
The last Asus mobo I used is A7V266E, and it also has a jumper to disable RAID (making it as regular IDE controller). I don't know if your mobo has the jumper like that.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
This board comes with the RAID controller enabled. If you do not use it, you may move the jumper in order to disable the RAID controller and consequently it will not post.
See the manual to find the jumper.

Principle of the highest harassment for engineers says: having two events, one bad and one favorable, with the same probability to occur, it is most probable that the bad event will occur