How should I restore Catroot2......

Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I think I tried
renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the Catroot , just to
help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update , even though the
edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I think there
should be !
Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the folder please .

--
signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....
4 answers Last reply

    Reboot and the system will make a new CATROOT2

    "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
    | Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I
    think I tried
    | renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the
    Catroot , just to
    | help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update ,
    even though the
    | edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
    | Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I
    think there
    | should be !
    | Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
    | Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the
    folder please .

    | --
    | signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

    reboot and make a new Catroot2 .....ok... oops , reboot and the system will
    make a new Catroot2 .......ohhhhh
    Thanks very much , reading your post wrong made me look at the system32
    folder again , and there it was !

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Reboot and the system will make a new CATROOT2

    > "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
    > | Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I
    > think I tried
    > | renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the
    > Catroot , just to
    > | help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update ,
    > even though the
    > | edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
    > | Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I
    > think there
    > | should be !
    > | Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
    > | Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the
    > folder please .
    > |
    > | --
    > | signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

    Hi

    Why did you rename that folder in the 1st place - problems with Windows
    Update? Right click on it and rename it to the original.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
    > Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I think I tried
    > renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the Catroot , just
    > help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update , even though the
    > edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
    > Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I think there
    > should be !
    > Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
    > Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the folder please .
    >
    > --
    > signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

    Yes , I couldn't get Windows Update to give me any updates .
    The first update scan went to a ' problems with windows update ' page .
    From there I found error 0x80248011 in a microsoft article but before I
    found a microsoft article about error0x80248011 which did help me I looked at
    posts here in the news group and someone had said to change some names to
    empty some folders so I tried that first .
    Later I found the article which showed me the Software Distribution folder
    was too big and was about 5.1MB's larger than the 50MB's limit .
    My computer would just crash you see .
    Well now Windows has replaced the Catroot file anyway , probably when I
    used Windows Update again or when I rebooted , but there it is in the
    system32 folder .
    Thanks for the help helps !

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Why did you rename that folder in the 1st place - problems with Windows
    > Update? Right click on it and rename it to the original.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
    > > Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I think I tried
    > > renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the Catroot , just
    > > help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update , even though the
    > > edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
    > > Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I think there
    > > should be !
    > > Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
    > > Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the folder please .
    > >
    > > --
    > > signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

Microsoft Windows XP