How should I restore Catroot2......

Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I think I tried
renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the Catroot , just to
help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update , even though the
edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I think there
should be !
Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the folder please .

--
signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

Reboot and the system will make a new CATROOT2

"Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
| Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I
think I tried
| renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the
Catroot , just to
| help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update ,
even though the
| edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
| Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I
think there
| should be !
| Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
| Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the
folder please .

| --
| signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

reboot and make a new Catroot2 .....ok... oops , reboot and the system will
make a new Catroot2 .......ohhhhh
Thanks very much , reading your post wrong made me look at the system32
folder again , and there it was !

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Reboot and the system will make a new CATROOT2

> "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
> | Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I
> think I tried
> | renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the
> Catroot , just to
> | help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update ,
> even though the
> | edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
> | Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I
> think there
> | should be !
> | Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
> | Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the
> folder please .
> |
> | --
> | signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

Hi

Why did you rename that folder in the 1st place - problems with Windows
Update? Right click on it and rename it to the original.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
> Clever me thought renaming Catroot2 folder to old , I think I tried
> renaming it as Old.Catroot2 by adding the Old. before the Catroot , just
> help things along before I installed Windows XP 2 Update , even though the
> edit was supposed to be just Old before the Catroot .
> Well there is no Catroot2 in the system32 folder now and I think there
> should be !
> Maybe I don't need it but I think I probably do .
> Nonetheless , will someone tell me how to restore the folder please .
>
> --
> signature..... um ..... yes .....signature.....

Yes , I couldn't get Windows Update to give me any updates .
The first update scan went to a ' problems with windows update ' page .
From there I found error 0x80248011 in a microsoft article but before I
found a microsoft article about error0x80248011 which did help me I looked at
posts here in the news group and someone had said to change some names to
empty some folders so I tried that first .
Later I found the article which showed me the Software Distribution folder
was too big and was about 5.1MB's larger than the 50MB's limit .
My computer would just crash you see .
Well now Windows has replaced the Catroot file anyway , probably when I
used Windows Update again or when I rebooted , but there it is in the
system32 folder .
Thanks for the help helps !