Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LAN Gaming Question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 1, 2008 2:55:21 AM

If I have two computers hooked up through LAN and I want to play a LAN match on both, do I need two copies of the same game or can I just use one copy? Also, if a game has co-op (specifically Left 4 Dead and COD5), can I play that through LAN with 1 disc or will they make me buy two copies of the same game or will it even work through LAN? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : lan gaming question

October 1, 2008 6:23:52 PM

My assumption is that CoD 5 will allow you to play over the lan with just one game. All of the others have allowed you to do this, but you will not be able to play online. Most likely you will not need the CD to play the MP portion of the game (if treyarch follows the same patch as infinity ward), but I am unsure where coop will fall in this area since it is a first for the series (it may require the CD like the SP usually does).

Left 4 Dead on the other hand will most likely have to be activated through steam, so you will need 2 accounts and 2 copies of the game to play it. This is just what I assume. (as proven below, this may not be the case and you may be able to do it.)

If you are going to be doing this alot and maybe even want to include another 2 people or play online with many others it probably would be best to buy 2 copies of the games for the LAN. I usually do this for games that I play on both my laptop and desktop, so that when a friend comes over they are able to play with me.

Best,

3Ball
October 1, 2008 6:30:21 PM

Quote:
Left 4 Dead on the other hand will most likely have to be activated through steam, so you will need 2 accounts and 2 copies of the game to play it. This is just what I assume.

I've played lot's of Steam games multiplayer over a lan with only one account. Actually I can't really think of one that I've tried that hasn't worked, but I haven't played that many.
Related resources
October 1, 2008 6:42:37 PM

purplerat said:
Quote:
Left 4 Dead on the other hand will most likely have to be activated through steam, so you will need 2 accounts and 2 copies of the game to play it. This is just what I assume.

I've played lot's of Steam games multiplayer over a lan with only one account. Actually I can't really think of one that I've tried that hasn't worked, but I haven't played that many.


Never new that you could do that. Then again I suppose there is an offline mode. Can you do this while still connected to the internet, because my account wont even let me log in on my laptop and desktop at the same time.

Best,

3Ball
October 1, 2008 7:21:26 PM

I've been able to connect to my account from all three of my PCs at the same time as long as none are playing an online game. But I've had no problem playing single player offline and mutliplayer LAN on one account. But like I said I haven't fully tested it, just what I've experienced in a few games.
October 1, 2008 7:51:36 PM

purplerat said:
I've been able to connect to my account from all three of my PCs at the same time as long as none are playing an online game. But I've had no problem playing single player offline and mutliplayer LAN on one account. But like I said I haven't fully tested it, just what I've experienced in a few games.


I very well could be wrong. I cant remember the last time that I actually attempted to use it in this mannor. It is possible that I am just assuming things that would maybe be consistent with an online service. I am truly unsure at this point and may have to try it when i get home just to see.

Best,

3Ball
October 2, 2008 1:03:51 AM

What about other games? So pretty much as long as it's not connected to the internet, it can't check the CD keys so I can use the same disc for both? I remember that we had to buy 3 copies of CnC: Renegade to be able to play LAN on 3 of our cumputers, but is that just an anomaly?
October 2, 2008 5:07:17 AM

tallguy1618 said:
What about other games? So pretty much as long as it's not connected to the internet, it can't check the CD keys so I can use the same disc for both? I remember that we had to buy 3 copies of CnC: Renegade to be able to play LAN on 3 of our cumputers, but is that just an anomaly?


No many games will check the CD key on the server on LAN's so that is not to uncommon. I remember playing CoD 2 on a LAN with some guys who didnt have the game so they installed mine and it ran fine, even with our internet running through the LAN. It all just depends on the game.

Best,

3Ball
December 26, 2008 7:30:12 AM

3Ball said:
Never new that you could do that. Then again I suppose there is an offline mode. Can you do this while still connected to the internet, because my account wont even let me log in on my laptop and desktop at the same time.

Best,

3Ball


you run one or both in offline mode then there is no problem running on multiple computers
!