Terrybadman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003
It's been a number of years now, but I will always remember one of the first computers I built based on a SuperMicro motherboard. It was a speed demon and I could not kill it with a stick. Very reliable and very very fast. My question is why are their motherboards not reviewed in THG? Is it because their quality has significantly diminished? I am thinking about performing an upgarde and building a new system and see that they have a new board based on Intel's "granite bay" chipset but the place I have come to depend on reviews doesn't have any mention of SuperMicro in the entire website(results from a google site search).

Thanks and any advice or information on SuperMicro would be appreciated.

Casper5714

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Supermicro's performance has not gone down by any means. They are one of the best mobo manufacturers right now. The thing is, is that they do not promote themselves to sites like THG or Anandtech. Supermicro's main focus are server motherboards and consumer sites like this are not totally in their niche. Their Granite Bay chipset (P4SAA) is supposed to be very similar to the Asus P4G8x motherboard. This is definately a motherboard you should consider.

Casper

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Supermicro makes "professional" products, this is mostly an "enthusiast" site. Most people who buy Supermicro know nothing about hardware news, they only know that Supermicro has served them well in the past and will continue to serve them well.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>