EA Suddenly Cancels Tiberium

Tags:
  • Command Prompt
  • Electronic Arts
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 1, 2008 6:55:48 PM

Article by Devin Connors

In a surprise announcement, Electronic Arts this week cancelled Tiberium, the first-person shooter set in the Command & Conquer universe. The game publisher cited quality concerns and design challenges regarding the move.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/10/01/tiberium_cancelled/

More about : suddenly cancels tiberium

October 1, 2008 7:56:58 PM

I've never been a Command & Conquer fan having never played a single game. Just one of those series I missed out on since I only have time and money for so many games. I thought EA quality standards were non-existent so this must've been turning out pretty bad or EA is making up **** and there's some behind the scenes drama going on.
October 1, 2008 8:20:02 PM

Well, C7C renagegade, despite being a cult hit, stank too, so this isn't THAT much of a surprise...
Related resources
October 1, 2008 8:58:15 PM

They probably couldn't get it to work with SecurRom so they ditched it... :p 
October 1, 2008 9:02:37 PM

Maxor127 said:
I've never been a Command & Conquer fan having never played a single game. Just one of those series I missed out on since I only have time and money for so many games. I thought EA quality standards were non-existent so this must've been turning out pretty bad or EA is making up **** and there's some behind the scenes drama going on.

I humbly suggest checking out Command & Conquer: the First Decade. Great collection of older C&C titles, including my favorite Red Alert 2, and the "cult hit" Renegade.

As far as Tiberium is concerned, I'm sad to see the title cancelled, but I wonder just how development must have been going for the game to be cancelled. After all, EA did release Hellgate: London when it should have been painfully obvious the game wasn't ready. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise...
October 2, 2008 1:12:44 AM

Renegade was a cult hit? I remember that you could only register about one hit a second on the bad guys, and head shots didn't count for much so you just ended up spraying bullets everywhere. EA should have pulled the plug on that one too. Great concept but terrible execution.
October 2, 2008 1:29:37 AM

It's probably for the best since Mr. Verdu is failing left and right. The last desaster he actually stepped into was the patching nightmare of Kanes Wrath. Given the DRM issues, the horrible support and the obvious inability to deliver in time or plan ahead, i must say it does not look good for EA.
October 2, 2008 1:55:33 AM

Thank god for that, being the completist tosser that I am, I would have been forced to buy it so I had the full set.
October 2, 2008 1:07:47 PM

Well if the game was cancelled because it couldn’t meat EA’s already low quality standards then I think it’s best this game is swept under carpet. Having your game sounded out by EA for not being good enough is like being called ‘Fat’ by director Michael Moore.
October 2, 2008 4:22:29 PM

Maybe they've realized that you can't continue to put out crap constantly and still get the audience to buy it. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a thought.
October 2, 2008 11:19:46 PM

I think Rob's right, while it should and could have been awesome i bet EA didn't have the guts to make it happen...

Well, another CNC fps failure, i guess i can still hope for a Dawn of war/Warhammer fps based off of the battlefront 2 engine..
October 3, 2008 6:56:41 AM

this game is more to hardcore old gamer, i think with DRM problem over RA3 marketing reasech dont think it make good $$$ out of it. that would be major reason why it got cancel.

let face it, who is the fan of CnC?? i would say a gamer know good company call westwood and play their awesome dune2 CnC etc. that would be biggest reason it got sale. if you arent fan of CnC then you dont even care tiberium in the first place. let face it, there tons of fps in console and no big reason buying this game over well... say resistant2 or even CoD4

when you play game back from good ol DOS, u gotta be good in pc. and therefore u know how bad DRM is.

why make a game that focus on group of people you already know they wouldnt buy the it? EA make a smart move by cancel it.
October 3, 2008 8:06:40 PM

"Design challenges" being they actually had to design something new for once, instead of just another expansion? :lol: 
October 4, 2008 4:02:46 PM

I still play C+C renegade but I'm not disapointed they cancelled this. It didn't look good at all.

Renegade had a lot of problems, but the multiplayer mode is just amazing. Someone needs to take it and make it into a good game.
!