removing programs from startup in xp

New to xp here. When I had '98 if I did not want a particular program to
start up in the system tray I ran msconfig and removed the checks from those
programs I didn't want to load when the computer was turned on. Now when I
try that method of removing unneeded programs which load at startup I get a
message telling me that removing this can cause problems. I get a message
when restarting the computer about returning the program to startup. How can
I remove unneeded programs at start up in XP so the system doesn't balk at
what I am doing?
9 answers Last reply
More about removing programs startup

    Open the program and search through its menus until you find the option to
    start the program with Windows.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >Open the program and search through its menus until you find the option to
    >start the program with Windows.

    It would be nice if all programs had this option. There are a lot of
    programs or files, in this start-up area. I know exactly what he is
    talking about. - you go in and uncheck the box in front of one, and it is
    a temporary fix, because when you boot up the next time, it automatically
    puts a check mark back in the box, and the program is loaded.

    I don't know what to say, I asked this question 6 months ago and didn't
    get an answer. I guess you have to go into the registry and do it that
    way.

    A work around that seems to work - here is what I have done (haven't had
    to in a while now) - I do a Google search for a suspect program to see
    what it is.. If I find I want to remove it, I then initiate a search of
    my hard drive for it. Then I don't delete it just yet, just in case, so I
    make a folder right there, and stick it in there. If I find my computer
    runs smoothly after a reboot, I delete the folder with the file in it..

    Then I guess when I run Norton one click check-up, it fixes the registry
    where the program was. (not sure how it works). There is also a freeware
    temp files remover/registry cleaning program out there called Beclean I
    believe.
    ...D.

    If a program doesn't have the option to not start with Windows, here are
    your remaining choices:

    1. Contact the program's technical support to ask how this can be done.
    2. Uninstall the program.

    You go rooting around in the registry at your own risk and peril.

    You wouldn't, by any chance, be having a problem with spyware or a virus
    now, would you?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    On 09/12/2004 ...D. wrote:

    > I don't know what to say, I asked this question 6 months ago and
    > didn't get an answer. I guess you have to go into the registry and
    > do it that way.

    Don't play with the registry, you'll burn your fingers :-)

    Do a Google for Mike Lin's startup program, it works just like msconfig
    use to, it's free and it's very good, will do exactly what you want.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:

    [snipped

    Can you set your options in OE to not post HTML to Usenet please :-)

    It defaults to the standard of plain text so you/somebody must have
    changed it. HTML is OK for email, for people who don't automatically
    bin it, but it is not the standard for news groups.

    --

    "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:
    >
    > [snipped
    >
    > Can you set your options in OE to not post HTML to Usenet please :-)
    >
    > It defaults to the standard of plain text so you/somebody must have
    > changed it. HTML is OK for email, for people who don't automatically
    > bin it, but it is not the standard for news groups.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    ===========================
    Whenever I post in plain text,
    the message gets all chopped up
    unless I limit the phrases to short
    lines like this, and urls often become
    unusable other than copying and pasting
    the broken pieces.
    By the way, I don't agree if your advice
    is for people to never use Registry Editor.
    Rather, it is better to supply appropriate
    warning / education about how to use
    Registry Editor.
    ===========================

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
    > kiadau <kiadau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>New to xp here. When I had '98 if I did not want a particular program to
    >>start up in the system tray I ran msconfig and removed the checks from those
    >>programs I didn't want to load when the computer was turned on. Now when I
    >>try that method of removing unneeded programs which load at startup I get a
    >>message telling me that removing this can cause problems. I get a message
    >>when restarting the computer about returning the program to startup. How can
    >>I remove unneeded programs at start up in XP so the system doesn't balk at
    >>what I am doing?
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >>Open the program and search through its menus until you find the option to
    >>start the program with Windows.
    >
    > It would be nice if all programs had this option. There are a lot of
    > programs or files, in this start-up area. I know exactly what he is
    > talking about. - you go in and uncheck the box in front of one, and it is
    > a temporary fix, because when you boot up the next time, it automatically
    > puts a check mark back in the box, and the program is loaded.
    >
    > I don't know what to say, I asked this question 6 months ago and didn't
    > get an answer. I guess you have to go into the registry and do it that
    > way.
    >
    > A work around that seems to work - here is what I have done (haven't had
    > to in a while now) - I do a Google search for a suspect program to see
    > what it is.. If I find I want to remove it, I then initiate a search of
    > my hard drive for it. Then I don't delete it just yet, just in case, so I
    > make a folder right there, and stick it in there. If I find my computer
    > runs smoothly after a reboot, I delete the folder with the file in it..
    >
    > Then I guess when I run Norton one click check-up, it fixes the registry
    > where the program was. (not sure how it works). There is also a freeware
    > temp files remover/registry cleaning program out there called Beclean I
    > believe.
    > ...D.

    Here is my original post in plain text then -

    It is not a good idea to use System Configuration Utility (msconfig)
    to permanently stop programs from loading at startup. That utility
    is meant to be used as a trouble shooting tool. The end goal should
    be to operate with msconfig in Normal Startup...

    As Ted mentioned, the best option is to look in the options for each
    program and see if there is an entry to not load it at startup. Of course
    the first question is do you really want that particular program at all.

    Baring such an option, the other choices are to either remove the
    Startup item from the Registry or from a Startup folder.

    A comprehensive but understandably not complete list of Startup items can be found here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?type=text

    This posting contains information about modifying the registry.
    Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make
    sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry,
    click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    Description of the Microsoft Windows registry

    Make sure that msconfig is in Normal Startup... prior to examining the Registry or Startup
    folders -

    Startup items load from these places in the Registry:

    START > RUN > regedit

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices:
    (RunServices key is not normally present and anything found in it may well be suspicious)

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce:

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows:
    Load
    Run
    (If you find the items "Load" or "Run" in that Windows key, delete them as they come from
    malware)

    Otherwise Startup items load from either the "Common Startup" or "Startup" folders:

    Right click on My Computer and then click on Explore:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup:

    C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup:

    Restart the computer after making any changes

    On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:

    > "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:
    > >
    > > [snipped
    > >
    > > Can you set your options in OE to not post HTML to Usenet please :-)
    > >
    > > It defaults to the standard of plain text so you/somebody must have
    > > changed it. HTML is OK for email, for people who don't automatically
    > > bin it, but it is not the standard for news groups.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    > > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2
    > > http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
    >
    > ===========================
    > Whenever I post in plain text,
    > the message gets all chopped up
    > unless I limit the phrases to short
    > lines like this, and urls often become
    > unusable other than copying and pasting
    > the broken pieces.
    > By the way, I don't agree if your advice
    > is for people to never use Registry Editor.
    > Rather, it is better to supply appropriate
    > warning / education about how to use
    > Registry Editor.
    > ===========================

    Well this post looks much better than your earlier one :-)

    There's probably an option in OE to set the line length, most news
    readers include this, 72 characters usually works well.

    Take your point about the registry editor. It's always difficult though
    to gauge the level of experience of some posters and I'd feel really
    embarrassed if somebody had a dabble on my advice and screwed up their
    installation.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    No need to backtrack. People who really understand the registry - and who
    aren't network administrators - know not to use a registry cleaner. People
    who don't really understand the registry, or only think that they do,
    shouldn't be playing around with it in the first place.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:
    >
    > > "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > On 09/12/2004 XPUSER wrote:
    > > >
    > > > [snipped
    > > >
    > > > Can you set your options in OE to not post HTML to Usenet please :-)
    > > >
    > > > It defaults to the standard of plain text so you/somebody must have
    > > > changed it. HTML is OK for email, for people who don't automatically
    > > > bin it, but it is not the standard for news groups.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    > > > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2
    > > > http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
    > >
    > > ===========================
    > > Whenever I post in plain text,
    > > the message gets all chopped up
    > > unless I limit the phrases to short
    > > lines like this, and urls often become
    > > unusable other than copying and pasting
    > > the broken pieces.
    > > By the way, I don't agree if your advice
    > > is for people to never use Registry Editor.
    > > Rather, it is better to supply appropriate
    > > warning / education about how to use
    > > Registry Editor.
    > > ===========================
    >

    > Well this post looks much better than your earlier one :-)
    >
    > There's probably an option in OE to set the line length, most news
    > readers include this, 72 characters usually works well.
    >
    > Take your point about the registry editor. It's always difficult though
    > to gauge the level of experience of some posters and I'd feel really
    > embarrassed if somebody had a dabble on my advice and screwed up their
    > installation.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm