mobo/cpu combo for radeon9700 stability

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Managed to get mah hands on a freee Radeon 9700Pro gfx card and as I'm planning on upgrading mah system I wanna get the most out of it (which I certainly aint getting on mah current system). I'm in the process of a mammoth upgrade of my old Athlon900.

Items already in my possession I plan on using:

Yamaha CRW-F1 CDRW
DVD drive (unknown model)
Radeon 9700Ultra Pro
Maxtor 40gb h/d

Items on order/ordering soon:
Cooler master ATC210
DVI compatible LCD monitor

Note: my current PSU isn't P4 ready - so I'd need a new one, any suggestions? I've heard Enermax PSUs aren't well suited to the cooler master 210 though, true?

What I want to know is what is a reasonable mobo/cpu/ramn combination that will get the most out of the radeon? Obviously I need 8x AGP, so this probably reduces the options, but apart from that there isn't really any overriding factor apart from the fact that I'm more concerned with stabilit ythan out and out power.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

What about the Gigabyte S478 SiS 648? Seems reasonably priced...

[Edit:posted too early!]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arkus on 02/11/03 01:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Gigabyte 648 boards are nice, fast, and stable. They have the 8SG667 and a newer version, the 8SG800.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>