Sign in with
Your question

wierd PS3 HDMI audio problem

Last response: in Video Games
October 2, 2008 6:12:08 AM

I have a Phillips HDTV 42PFL7422D, with 3 HDMI inputs.

****Edit***
When all 3 HDMI inputs are connect I lose sound signal on any one of the connections.

I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and my PC connected to the TV. For some reason I lose sound signal for any and all of my connections. I thought this might have been a PS3 problem because of past problems I've read about concerning its HDMI, but its not. I disconnected the HDMI connected to the PS3 and connected it my laptop and I still have the same problem.

So far, the only time this problem "goes away" is when I disconnect any one of the HDMI connections, then the other 2 connection work normally.

I don't know if its the fault of the TV, fault of the HDMI cables, or something else unrelated.

This is the HDMI cable I use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone able to help?
October 2, 2008 3:30:05 PM

Do you have the TV on prior to turning on the console?

I find HDMI very uppity about the order I turn things on.

Actually I really dislike HDMI.
October 2, 2008 3:45:45 PM

Usually yes, but the problem occurs regardless whether the TV is on prior.
Related resources
October 2, 2008 3:50:39 PM

Lose the PC connection for now, see if this fixes it
October 2, 2008 4:05:25 PM

It should fix and probably does if I disconnect the PC, but its not a fix. So far I disconnect the PS3, xbox and PC worked fine. Disconnected xbox, PS3 and PC worked fine. I'm still trying to find a fix to fix this so that I can have all HDMIs connected and working.
October 2, 2008 6:20:36 PM

Indeed, but let's take it one step at a time.

I would think a good place to start would be to identify if one of the inputs is causing the problem, hence my question.
October 2, 2008 6:57:08 PM

I disconnect the PC, and I get sound on PS3 and xbox.
October 2, 2008 7:07:36 PM

Is this the same regardless of which connection you unplug? ie unplugging one results in the other 2 inputs working fine?
October 2, 2008 7:10:33 PM

Yup. If I unplug the xbox then ps3 and pc works. If I unplug the ps3 then xbox and pc works.
October 2, 2008 7:16:43 PM

Whats also weird is if say I unplug the xbox turn on ps3, ps3 works fine, then I plug the hdmi back into xbox turn on xbox, xbox works fine. I turn on the PC (remains plugged), it works fine. So all 3 HDMIs are plugged.
October 2, 2008 9:42:13 PM

Is there a firmware fix for your screen? Sounds like the fault is at the display end.....
October 2, 2008 10:07:04 PM

Seems like it a fault at the display. I've updated the the firmware to the latest version. However, does not fix the problem. :( 
October 3, 2008 11:02:20 AM

Have you asked Philips about it?

How about getting an HDMI hub?

Andrew
!