upgrading from win2000 pro to xp pro full release?

The documentation says this is okay.
However when I run the install win xp pro won't
allow me to upgrade from win 2000 pro.

I have dozens of compilers/assemblers/interpreters as
well as word processing. I'd hate to have to reinstall
everything. Was Microsoft lying or is there a way to
make this work? PS: I'm moving to Linux, but I need
a top quality word processor and Word is better than
anything I've found for Linux.

Is Windows XP Pro retail or OEM?
OEM is not capable of upgrading.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"joseph66akagi" <joseph66akagi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D6E0CBBF-FF71-4695-9B81-5190827231F9@microsoft.com...
> The documentation says this is okay.
> However when I run the install win xp pro won't
> allow me to upgrade from win 2000 pro.
>
> I have dozens of compilers/assemblers/interpreters as
> well as word processing. I'd hate to have to reinstall
> everything. Was Microsoft lying or is there a way to
> make this work? PS: I'm moving to Linux, but I need
> a top quality word processor and Word is better than
> anything I've found for Linux.

Only a "Retail Version" of Windows XP Pro can upgrade
over an existing Windows 2000 installation. If you acquired
an "OEM Version", you are limited to a "Clean Install" only.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

Also, Windows XP Pro does not include Microsoft Word.
You'll have to purchase and install Microsoft Word separately.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!