Sign in with
Your question

Account options

Last response: in Windows XP
June 26, 2004 2:54:07 AM

Ok, my question is pretty simple, but I could not find a quick answer. So here it goes: how do you create a account with limited capabilities.

I'm not talking of the crappy winXP account type "limited", but a true limited account that cannot edit the registry cannot install anything even IE plugins cannot change it's home page etc...

It should be possible since I use computers on which my account has really limited possibilities.

I want to create this type of account for my brother because he always end up infecting the computer by spyware and nasty stuff.

BTW, I have winXP pro

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

More about : account options

June 26, 2004 11:18:48 AM

You don't get a simple answer because your question doesn't have a simple answer in Win XP Pro, except 'you can't do that'.

The computers you use that have truly 'limiited accounts' ust be running something other than XP, like Windows 2000 or Linux. It's certainly POSSIBLE to create such a limited account, but it takes editing the group security policies using the policy editor. You DO have admin access to XP, right? It's a long and involved process, so I'm not going to lay out the whole thing, especially since I don't have in hand a list of whatyou mean by 'etc.'. Some of what you want to do requires some third-party software, as well (specifically WinPatrol).

Quote:
<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

June 26, 2004 12:58:55 PM

That's bad news. I though that it would be simple since winXP is build on the same base as win2000 and winNT. So it seems that I will have to play with the policy editor. Any good web site that you know that could help me.

BTW, I know how to tell what OS is running on a computer. Especially Windows VS Linux, I'm not that dumb.

Related resources
June 26, 2004 2:38:11 PM

Sorry, your original note didn't tell me your skill level :p 

In that case, you know how to search Microsoft's online Knowledgebase for info on the Group Policy Editor, so why did you ask in the first place? Ah. I see. You don't know much about XP and you wanted someone to tell you that it's a simple switch.

Sorry, but no. Take a look here -> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882&Product=winxp , since you want someone to hand you the link.

Quote:
<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

June 27, 2004 5:19:12 PM

Thanks for the link (I usually try to keep away from Microsoft knowlegde base, it's just too general), it helped me getting started, but I ran into more problems.

It seems that I can only create Local Computer Policy with the Management Conole. I want more to create a new Group Policy. So after searching the web it seems that I have to get the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). I am still on the right track? Because to install the GPMC, I have to intall .NET framework (whatever that is), and I don't want to do all that for nothing.

For my skill level: it's the first time I administer a multi-user computer, so I'm kinda newbie in this field.

June 27, 2004 5:43:19 PM

Well, having .NET framework in place isn't a bad thing. A number of programs are requiring it.

However, if you haven't got it installed, then check out the entry from the Help Center in XP. Do a search for the term- group policy.

Quote:

June 28, 2004 10:38:20 AM

Oh, and you can get to the local security policy very simply-

1) Right click the taskbar to get to Properties

2) Click on the Start Menu tab, then Customize, then the Advanced tab

3) Scroll down to the bottom of the list, where you can see "Show Administrative Tools"

4) Make sure you pick one of the choices that let you get to these tools.

5) Once you back out of the Properties menus by clicking Okay, then you can reach Local Security Policy by going to your Start menu and clicking on the Administrative Tools entry on the right side, where you'll see it on the menu.

Quote:

!