Games that you have lost track of time whilst playing

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I'm interested to know which games (any age) have sucked you in to such a degree that when you took a break you had an OMG! IS THAT THE TIME? moment...

Also, games where you realize you haven't blinked in ten minutes, and your eyeballs are dusty.. :heink:

The original DOOM's used to do the latter to me, sat on the edge of the chair.

Most god games I play, I find I have to just tweak the economy just a little more, just one more tweak......

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Pretty much every game that I play/played: cod4, warhead, WoW, Diablo 2, Starcraft (wow 9 hours already! was back in the day, LAN games). I miss playing Killing Fields...

Played 9-12 hours a day of Starcraft back in the day (only in the summer).

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
The worst were the LAN partys of Counter-strike back in the day. Take a case of red bull, pack of pro-plus, 15 mates and you have an absolutly epic time. Gets to 8pm the next day and you think you should go to sleep but just keep on playing.

Ahh those were the days....High speed broadband has all but killed off the LAN party scene round this area, a shame really, LAN partys were amazing amounts of fun.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
WoW... i sometimes will mean to play for 30 minutes and that 30 minutes turns into 2-3 hours.

i wasted hours playing starcraft years ago, sometimes would get into a game that would last 2-3 hours and i've hardly blinked. ah... nothing quite like that adrenaline rush i'd get get from sneaking 2-3 ghosts into an enemy base and simultaneously nuking.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
perhaps unusually, splinter cell double agent's multiplayer did this to me... (even if it was a buggy, unsupported POS - the core game was great)

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

Damn! Reminds of some news story I head of a guy dropping dead in an internet cafe in Korea after being online for like 40 hours straight, and only coffee and cigarettes keeping him going.... :cry:

ewor

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Medieval total war: single stretch of about 16-18hrs
Medieval II total war: single stretch about 14-16 hrs
these games scare me... i generally have to uninstall them or risk some sort of mental disorder or losing my job.

And yeah any rts can take a good few hours...I remember when red alert came out... my younger brother played it so long one saturday(from about 0730 that morning until 2200 that night) he got really sick and wasnt really able to sllep properly, every time he drifted off he would start dreaming about the game lol.
Haha thinking about it, I got sim city 2000 for my birthday one year... i was dreaming about zoning and power plants later that night.. pretty cool

Doomed_UK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
4 of us played a LAN game of civ 2 (or maybe it was civ 3) for almost a straight 48 hours (friday night until sunday afternoon)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Desert Combat a BF1942 mode took most of 2 years every time i got home from work

it became an obsession and nearly ended my marriage..

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007

Amen to that, lol, DC_LostVillage nearly killed me (!)

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Starcraft, Warcraft 3 MP, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Titan Quest, and Mass Effect. However I don't hold a candle to some of you guys - these games would have me playing at most 6 hours at a time, usually just 4 or so, which I consider a long time to be sitting and playing a game straight.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

36 hours straight WoW.
About 24 Hours Starcraft. Dam MicroHunter Maps !!!
Diablo 2 about 30.

Af course all of this straight up, with **** breaks and eat breaks. Sleep ? Ill sleep enough when im dead.

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
The classic Lucasarts adventure games used to have me playing them virtually every hour I was awake until they were finished. I lost half a stone (7lbs) playing Grim Fandango because I could hardly tear myself away to eat. :p

Not many modern games keep my attention like that. FEAR was one that I played for hours at a time, continuing for an hour or 2 more when I'd just told myself I needed to stop so I could eat. If Portal was a much longer game, I'd be on the list of Game related deaths linked earlier. lol I played through it in one sitting and not once did the thought of stopping cross my mind, and it's the only game I have finished multiple times within a month. I even played through the whole game again with the commentary on immediately after finishing it. Normally I don't replay a game for at least 6 months.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

I hear you there. The first 2 monkey islands on the Amiga - aaaaaaaaaaaarg too.....time.... consuming.

Never could really get into Grim Fandango though.

Another old point and clicker is Sanitarium. I played this consistently over a number of days, every spare moment I got. Had to take a break from it in the end, as it was eroding my sanity.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I hear ya. A bunch of kids playing hide and seek....and they missed one....because he was buried toghether with his momy.

God, i think ill never find a RPG as good and as facked up, like sanitarium. Never finished it too.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
This is a weird one but true:

We used to have huge multiplayer sessions on Romance on the Three Kingdoms for NES. We even got the maximum 8 a few times.

I remember starting some of those sessions around noon on Saturdays. The day would fly by in four steps:

1) noon
2) hungry - somebody order food
3) damn - how did it get dark outside?
4) It's 4 am ?!?!?!?!?

I don't think one of those games was played to it's completion even after 16-20 hours. There were always at least 3 players left (if I remember correctly).

Good times.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Civ 1 and Civ 2, Red Alert1, Medeval Total War (the first one), and Morrowind were some of the only games I could play for severl hours and then look at the clock and say Oh crap its 2:00 am. I havent encounted many games lately that cause me to loose track of time the way these ones used to.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Man, I forgot about those Lucasarts games! Those definitely go on the list. I go back and replay through them all the time - they're almost as much fun even when you can fly through them because you know all of the puzzle solutions. I've played through Curse of Monkey Island probably 3-4 times (Escape just wasn't nearly as good), Full Throttle maybe 5-6 times since it's so short, and Grim Fandango at least 5 times. In fact, I just finished it again recently and getting to the end almost makes me cry every time because of how amazing the storyline/gameplay/animations are...the only other game to ever do that to me was Ocarina of Time, simply because you get so attached to all of the characters.

"Run pigeons, it's Robert Frost!"

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
psychonauts, I'm not old enough for most of the games noted here but in my short (and not that diverse considering till now I had a radeon 9600) but psychonauts made me sit and play the entire game in about a week. even though I never finished it, I was stuck in the last level and eventually had to uninstall it to save space` but now I'm playing it again on my radeon 4870(!).
In holidays I usually sit on some shooter or RTS game for 5-6 hrs straight. till I got hungry :).

ssj_curly

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 2 ate up 15 hours of my weekend when it came out, me and few lads from college wanted to complete it over the weekend so we could chat about it on monday, very worth it though :D

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Other games that has taken up so much of my time...

Elite . BBC B on tape then disk...

Impossible mission...on the Commodore 64

I played this game contiunously until i completed it... I was at school at the time and was having a sleep over..

I waked my friends up at about 3am in the morning to hear Atombender shout NO NO Nooooooooooooooooooo.

ouroboros

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Nothing within the last few years has really grabbed me: Thief, Baldurs Gate 1-2, Civ 3, EQ2, Starcraft, Planescape: Torment, Undying, Dungeon Keeper

How far back are we going with this list?
Bards Tale, Ultima, SSIs "Gold Box"

Nothing I've seen has gotten to me like Thief's stealth concept. I remember my pager going off while playing this game, I jumped so high my knee hit the table and knocked my drink over.