Problem on trying to upgrade to Windows XP

December 4, 2004 12:15:05 PM

I have today tried to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home edition. The
CD I have bought Includes Service Pack 2 and is Version 2002.

Part way through the install process, while the indicator still says
"Preparing to Install" I got a blue screen error message telling me that it
couldn't load bootvid.dll, Retry or abort; I retried a couple of time with
the same result. After finally aborting, and uninstalling XP again I checked
to see if bootvid.dll was on the CD and it isn't, neither is it on my "C"
drive.

Help!

Chris
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:35:31 PM

You may have a virus file on your computer. Windows XP cannot be
installed properly until all virus and spyware files are removed.

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

HOW TO: Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

--