Problem on trying to upgrade to Windows XP

I have today tried to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home edition. The
CD I have bought Includes Service Pack 2 and is Version 2002.

Part way through the install process, while the indicator still says
"Preparing to Install" I got a blue screen error message telling me that it
couldn't load bootvid.dll, Retry or abort; I retried a couple of time with
the same result. After finally aborting, and uninstalling XP again I checked
to see if bootvid.dll was on the CD and it isn't, neither is it on my "C"
drive.

Help!

Chris
1 answer Last reply
More about problem upgrade windows

    You may have a virus file on your computer. Windows XP cannot be
    installed properly until all virus and spyware files are removed.

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

    HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
    Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Chris Bushell" wrote:

    | I have today tried to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home edition. The
    | CD I have bought Includes Service Pack 2 and is Version 2002.
    |
    | Part way through the install process, while the indicator still says
    | "Preparing to Install" I got a blue screen error message telling me that it
    | couldn't load bootvid.dll, Retry or abort; I retried a couple of time with
    | the same result. After finally aborting, and uninstalling XP again I checked
    | to see if bootvid.dll was on the CD and it isn't, neither is it on my "C"
    | drive.
    |
    | Help!
    |
    | Chris

CD-Rom Windows XP