jfinnivan

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I posted this in the memory group, but it occurred to me that it could be a MB problem, so...

I have the ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB with an Athlon XP 2700+ and 2 512MB Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT XMS memory modules. The memory is installed in the two blue memory sockets. I installed WinXP pro and things were going fine for a while, until I started getting occasional blue screens. I searched the boards for answers, and after reading some suggestions, I set my AGP speed from Auto to 66Mhz, and set my BIOS setting from Optimal to Aggressive. I also downloaded a few new drivers, and my problems seemed to go away. I wanted to find out what the problem was, so I ran memtest86 on my system. With the BIOS set to Aggressive, the memory is run at 166Mhz, which is synchronous with the CPU. The memory test ran fine, no errors. I then changed the BIOS to Optimal, which runs the memory at 200Mhz. The memory test failed after a few minutes. Unless something strange is going on with the MB, it seems like the memory is flakey at DDR400 speeds. This is brand new memory that I got with a MB, CPU, Memory bundle from Monarch Computers. Any thoughts?? Is my memory bad?
The other issue is for curiosity. The memtest86 program displayed the memory access speed at 1211 MB/s at 166Mhz, and 1266 MB/s at 200 Mhz. I thought it would be faster than this, especially in dual-channel mode...

Thanks for any help,
Joe

jfinnivan

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I see your point, but Corsair advertises their XMS memory as being tested and verified at 200 Mhz (DDR400 speed). Since I paid extra for this capability, with the plan of using this later when REAL DDR400 motherboards appear, I sure want to make sure it works at this freq.
Joe