Sign in with
Your question

Need help with making game videos

Last response: in Video Games
October 4, 2008 10:52:30 AM

I'm new to making gameplay videos and I need some tips. I use fraps and windows movie maker but what compression software should I use(must be free)? Also what resolution is recommended? I'm going to be making gameplay videos for crysis warhead and assassins creed.

More about : making game videos

October 4, 2008 1:07:01 PM

XviD is the best compression codec IMO. I've heard WMV 9+ isn't bad either, but I don't have much experience with it.

Resolution really just depends on how well your computer can keep up when you're recording video, because it takes a huge toll on performance. The weak link is usually the hard drive not keeping up with writing 30+ fps with each frame taking up several megabytes uncompressed. Compressing the captured video at the same time is pretty much out of the question, you'll be doing seconds-per-frame in a game like Crysis or Assassin's Creed. This is why people who are really serious about it set 2 10k rpm Raptors in RAID 0 for video recording.
October 4, 2008 1:11:42 PM

thx, but i don't compress during playing, i record with fraps then compress afterwards.
Related resources
October 4, 2008 1:41:05 PM

Just use the WMV9 option in Windows Movie Maker if you're looking for an easy solution to post-editing compression.
October 5, 2008 5:28:07 AM

wheres the compress option in windows movie maker?
October 5, 2008 5:29:09 AM

File => Publish Movie
October 5, 2008 10:41:50 AM

theres only the save movie but no publish movie option
October 6, 2008 12:53:10 AM

You could always output it from Movie Maker without compression then run it through VirtualDub, it's probably the best free video publishing tool out there.
!