Windows 7 Starter network problem

robroy1950

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t know if I’m in the right forum, but there is no wireless network sub-category for Windows 7. If I’m in the wrong place, please let me know. My wife just purchased an Acer netbook, Window 7 Starter. Set-up went fine until I added it to my home wireless workgroup (now consisting of a desktop xp sp3, a laptop xp sp3, a vista laptop, and the aforementioned Acer Windows 7, as well as a NetGear “n” DSL modem/router). I can see all the computers in the workgroup and the modem/router on my Acer, and can open both the xp and the vista laptops and open the “shared” folders. However, when I try to open the desktop, the Acer asks for a “Domain” user and password for access, and shows the Acer computer’s name as the domain name. I do not have any passwords assigned for any of my computers, including the Acer. All are assigned to the same WorkGroup, all sharing is enabled, etc. I do not understand why it is asking for “Domain” certification, when I am not using a Domain and only asking for it for my desktop. Somehow the 7 Starter established a Domain and associated user and password (and why requiring it for only one computer in the network?) But I have no idea where to find or disable it. I have a fairly good knowledge of home networks, having run them for 5 years with 3 to 5 computers and printers, but this one is driving me up a wall and I don’t do well going straight up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robroy1950

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

From everything I’ve researched you cannot establish a HomeGroup on a 7 Starter computer. You can, however, connect to an existing HomeGroup set up on an appropriate Windows 7 computer in your network. Since I don’t have any other 7 in my network, HomeGroup is not possible. However, according to the set-up instructions and everything else I’ve read, the 7 Starter computer can be added to and included in an existing WorkGroup, if all required permissions and criteria have been exercised. In my situation, this has been accomplished, since all computers and related shared folders and printers are visible in my network and WorkGroup and the 7 computer interfaces without “Domain certification” with all but the XP desktop. It might very well do so also, if I knew the user name and password or how to disable that requirement. Thanks.