starting from scratch

i have a pc which had xp on it. due to software problems i formated my pc
with a win 98 floppy. i now cant get past the blue screen. saying starting
windows (at the bottom) on xp setup . win 98 still installs ok >> could this
be due to the floppy putting a ramdrive on the pc creating a d: drive.

thanks Andrew
--
www.autograssforscotland.0catch.com
4 answers Last reply

    What kind of XP CD do you have? If you formatted with FDISK
    from W98 and removed a hidden partition that was used by
    your XP CD you might have a problem. You might ask the
    computer maker.

    "yorksdrew" <yorksdrew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |i have a pc which had xp on it. due to software problems i
    formated my pc
    | with a win 98 floppy. i now cant get past the blue screen.
    saying starting
    | windows (at the bottom) on xp setup . win 98 still
    installs ok >> could this
    | be due to the floppy putting a ramdrive on the pc creating
    a d: drive.

    | thanks Andrew
    | --
    | www.autograssforscotland.0catch.com

    Since I deleted the hidden partitions on all my drives long ago I doubt
    that's the problem. More than likely a hardware problem.

    > What kind of XP CD do you have? If you formatted with FDISK
    > from W98 and removed a hidden partition that was used by
    > your XP CD you might have a problem. You might ask the
    > computer maker.

    > "yorksdrew" <yorksdrew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > |i have a pc which had xp on it. due to software problems i
    > formated my pc
    > | with a win 98 floppy. i now cant get past the blue screen.
    > saying starting
    > | windows (at the bottom) on xp setup . win 98 still
    > installs ok >> could this
    > | be due to the floppy putting a ramdrive on the pc creating
    > a d: drive.
    > |
    > | thanks Andrew
    > | --
    > | www.autograssforscotland.0catch.com

    I assume you are booting from the XP CD, selecting to
    install XP, and using the XP CD tools to delete existing
    partitions, format and install as it was intended to do.
    Using FDISK is unnecessary.

    see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

    "David A. Spicer" <xp_fan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Since I deleted the hidden partitions on all my drives
    long ago I doubt
    | that's the problem. More than likely a hardware problem.

    in message
    | > What kind of XP CD do you have? If you formatted with
    FDISK
    | > from W98 and removed a hidden partition that was used by
    | > your XP CD you might have a problem. You might ask the
    | > computer maker.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "yorksdrew" <yorksdrew@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    | > |i have a pc which had xp on it. due to software
    problems i
    | > formated my pc
    | > | with a win 98 floppy. i now cant get past the blue
    screen.
    | > saying starting
    | > | windows (at the bottom) on xp setup . win 98 still
    | > installs ok >> could this
    | > | be due to the floppy putting a ramdrive on the pc
    creating
    | > a d: drive.
    | > |

    David A. Spicer wrote:
    > Since I deleted the hidden partitions on all my drives long ago I doubt
    > that's the problem. More than likely a hardware problem.

    That's because you have a full XP install CD and not an OEM recovery CD,
    which might be dependent on the data in the hidden partition. Mr.
    Macklin's answers are correct, although that doesn't mean that there
    isn't a hardware problem. The OP needs to follow the correct procedure
    first and see where it leads.

Floppy Disk Windows XP