HP Pavilion 7919

I cannot increase screen resolution beyone 600 x 480
I am told I might need new driver for motherboard Asus A7V-ML
I can find no reference to this on the Asus site
Surely the drive must be on the HP recovery disks - but these do not
work!
Any help, please?

--
All messages scanned with AVG

---

According to the product specs for the 7919 at the HP web site:

The motherboard chipset is the Via KM 133
The graphics are provided by Integrated S3 ProSavage4 3D

Via bought the remains of S3 a couple of years ago.

First, go to the Via web site and download its latest 4-in-1 drivers. That
takes care of the basic motherboard drivers. With Windows (and any other
operating system!), if the motherboard drivers are not installed or not
installed properly, you cannot depend on anything else working correctly either.

Next, see if the Via web site has drivers for the S3 ProSavage4 3D. If so,
download and install. If not, you'll need to look for them elsewhere. As
always in a computer industry acquisition, something can fall into a crack. The
S3 drivers may also be incorporated into Via's 4-in-1. I'm not sure, because I
do not know the age of the ProSavage4 nor the exact timeframe of the S3 buyout
done by Via.

According to the URL that follows, ProSavage4 is a "new" Via development, circa
2001:

http://news.com.com/Via+chipset+shakes+up+Pentium+4+market/2100-1001_3-271643.html

So you'll doubtless find drivers at the Via web site.

My, how time flies. Not long ago, S3 was a major graphics chip player.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:45:52 GMT, "kenite" <kenite@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I cannot increase screen resolution beyone 600 x 480
>I am told I might need new driver for motherboard Asus A7V-ML
>I can find no reference to this on the Asus site
>Surely the drive must be on the HP recovery disks - but these do not
>work!
>Any help, please?
>
>--
>All messages scanned with AVG
>

>---

Ben - Many thanks for excellent information! Am ploughing through the
website - haven't managed to download the 4 in 1 - but I will!
There is an excellent advice forum, too.
Thanks again

--
| According to the product specs for the 7919 at the HP web site:
|
| The motherboard chipset is the Via KM 133
| The graphics are provided by Integrated S3 ProSavage4 3D
|
| Via bought the remains of S3 a couple of years ago.
|
| First, go to the Via web site and download its latest 4-in-1
drivers. That
| takes care of the basic motherboard drivers. With Windows (and any
other
| operating system!), if the motherboard drivers are not installed or
not
| installed properly, you cannot depend on anything else working
correctly either.

| Next, see if the Via web site has drivers for the S3 ProSavage4 3D.
If so,
| download and install. If not, you'll need to look for them
elsewhere. As
| always in a computer industry acquisition, something can fall into a
crack. The
| S3 drivers may also be incorporated into Via's 4-in-1. I'm not
sure, because I
| do not know the age of the ProSavage4 nor the exact timeframe of the
S3 buyout
| done by Via.
|
| According to the URL that follows, ProSavage4 is a "new" Via
development, circa
| 2001:

http://news.com.com/Via+chipset+shakes+up+Pentium+4+market/2100-1001_3-271643.html

| So you'll doubtless find drivers at the Via web site.
|
| My, how time flies. Not long ago, S3 was a major graphics chip
player.

| ... Ben Myers
|
| On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:45:52 GMT, "kenite" <kenite@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

| >I cannot increase screen resolution beyone 600 x 480
| >I am told I might need new driver for motherboard Asus A7V-ML
| >I can find no reference to this on the Asus site
| >Surely the drive must be on the HP recovery disks - but these do
not
| >work!
| >Any help, please?
| >
| >--
| >All messages scanned with AVG
| >

| >---

---

Thanks Terry - but tried that - it downloads, but installation aborts
half way through! (Tried several time!)

--
"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
| Kenite ,
| go to http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
| look under download drivers and software they have the drivers for
win
| me for download .
| hope this helps
| terry

hi,
have you checked to see if the recovery cds are scratched or smudged ?

you could try accessing disk 2 or 3 with windows explorer to see if
the drivers are there . on my 6730 recovery cds for 98 se the drivers
are on disk 2 in a folder called drivers . if your recovery disks are
scratched you may be able to have a video store or video game store
buff out the scratches for a small fee .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

Many thanks - yes CDRoms are OK - I can access them but the program
for installing does not open!
However, I have managed to install a new driver and colours are back
to normal and screen size is now OK
Graphics driver is not quite right, but usuable!
Thanks for your suggestion

--
| hi,
| have you checked to see if the recovery cds are scratched or smudged
?

| you could try accessing disk 2 or 3 with windows explorer to see if
| the drivers are there . on my 6730 recovery cds for 98 se the
drivers
| are on disk 2 in a folder called drivers . if your recovery disks
are
| scratched you may be able to have a video store or video game store
| buff out the scratches for a small fee .
| hope this helps,
| terry

"Graphics driver is not quite right, but usable!" How so??? ... Ben Myers