Annoying System Sound

There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.

Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
actual click in the keyboard?

--
Dennis M. Marks
3 answers Last reply

    >"denmarks" <denmarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
    >change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
    >It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
    >change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
    >like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.
    >
    >Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
    >actual click in the keyboard?

    If you just mean a loud click, that's probably the Navigation sound.
    Can be turned off at Control Panel \ Sounds and Audio \ Sounds tab,
    located far down under Windows Explorer. It's easy enough to turn off,
    but mine keeps coming back after a while.

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:05:02 -0800, denmarks wrote:

    > There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
    > change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
    > It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
    > change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
    > like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
    > actual click in the keyboard?

    Control Panel> Sounds and Audio> Sounds> Program Events: Under Windows
    Explorer change "Start Navigation" to none.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Keyboards Windows XP