Annoying System Sound

December 5, 2004 7:05:02 PM

There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.

Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
actual click in the keyboard?

--
Dennis M. Marks

More about : annoying system sound

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:56:53 PM

>"denmarks" <denmarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
>change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
>It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
>change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
>like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.
>
>Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
>actual click in the keyboard?

If you just mean a loud click, that's probably the Navigation sound.
Can be turned off at Control Panel \ Sounds and Audio \ Sounds tab,
located far down under Windows Explorer. It's easy enough to turn off,
but mine keeps coming back after a while.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:49:07 PM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:05:02 -0800, denmarks wrote:

> There is one sound that the system makes that I would like to eliminate or
> change. I originally thought that it was a mechanical sound in the keyboard.
> It is a clicking sound that the system makes after a mouse click, page
> change, etc. I've discovered a sound in the sounds control panel that sounds
> like it. It is "Windows XP Start". I can't find it assigned to any action.
>
> Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is really a system sound or an
> actual click in the keyboard?

Control Panel> Sounds and Audio> Sounds> Program Events: Under Windows
Explorer change "Start Navigation" to none.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I know this thread is old, but anyone who has this annoying mouse click echoing through the speakers might want to make sure their built-in or attached mic on their computer or laptop is turned OFF. After scouring the Net, to no avail, I just realized that the echoing click sound through the speakers reminded me of stage reverb. Hope this helps anyone out there about to pull their hair out...
!