App to change XP Registry, IE entries to default

On a new XP install the registry was backed up before anything else was
installed.

What good is it to export the registry if you import it and it does not
change / delete the hi-jacked entries in the registry?

After a PC has been spy botted or hi-jacked - how can you delete that entire
registry and import the registry you exported for a day such as this?

Is it possible to delete the XP registry and import the backed-up registry.

Is there an App to change XP Registry, IE entries to the default?
1 answer Last reply
More about change registry entries default

    It does no good at all. Exporting the registry is not the same thing as
    backing up. When you import, whether a single key or an entire registry, you
    are merging. Any additional keys created since exporting continue to exist.

    Furthermore, spyware buries itself in other places besides the registry, so
    restoring the registry alone is not going to restore you to a spyware-free
    state.

    Neverthless, you are on the right track. What you want to do is to backup
    your entire system partition (presuming it is known to be spyware- and
    virus-free). This is what you want to restore if you are unable to rid
    yourself of spyware. Obviously, you want to backup your system partition
    often, so that your backup will be current.

    Backing up a system partition is most easily accomplished, IMHO, with
    imaging software. An "image" is an exact bit for bit copy of a partition -
    or an entire disk if you want. You can restore the image in minutes
    (literally). It's the only proven method of time travel.

    Look at Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis' True Image. Just be aware that
    imaging is not a simple thing, so be sure you read the documentation
    thoroughly before using this software. And I mean thoroughly.

    To give an example: Yesterday I had a software install go south on me. Who
    cares - I restored my system partition in minutes and was back in action as
    if nothing happened.

    If you want a registry with all the default settings, do a clean install.
    Restoring an image works much faster.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    <CajunClickers @ hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On a new XP install the registry was backed up before anything else was
    > installed.
    >
    > What good is it to export the registry if you import it and it does not
    > change / delete the hi-jacked entries in the registry?
    >
    > After a PC has been spy botted or hi-jacked - how can you delete that
    entire
    > registry and import the registry you exported for a day such as this?
    >
    > Is it possible to delete the XP registry and import the backed-up
    registry.

    > Is there an App to change XP Registry, IE entries to the default?

Internet Explorer Windows XP Registry