Xbox 360 Elite or PS3 , which to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wael ghazie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I'm thinking of buying a gaming console next week , and I'm totally confused between the "Xbox 360 Elite" and the "PS3" ?

As we all know there is a major war going on between these two consoles because we have the "Xbox 360's Rrod" and on the other hand we have the expensive "PS3" with its lack of games !

So considering the problems of each what would you recommend the "Xbox 360 Elite" or the "PS3" ? why ?

thanks,

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Why bother with the xbox 360 elite? Get a 60GB premium and use the extra cash to buy some extra games. Premium has a HDMI port nowadays as well, all the elite has is blackness and a bigger HDD.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

+1

Best,

3Ball

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Hardware wise the PS3 is the most powerful, but as jaguarskx says - it's the games that matter, just ask Nintendo ;)

I have a PS3, soley for the Gran Turismo series - if GT didn't exist I wouldn't even have a console.

Kyz

360:

Advantages:
Large game library
Better user interface

Disadvantages:
Pay for internet service
History of hardware defects (Red Ring of Death, DVD drive dieing)
Few Xbox titles run

PS3;
Advantages:
Runs smoother than the 360 (I have both, the PS3 runs smoother, and its not even close)
Generally sharper grapihcs (varies by game)
PS2 support (the "new" 80GB and 40GB has 0 PS2 support, the older model supports 80% of all PS2 games, and older models, like the 60GB, support ALL PS2 games. Ask before you buy, just to make sure).

Disadvantages:
Smaller game library
User interface not as streamlined

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I have both and i'd have to say i'd recommend the 360 over the ps3. This is mainly due to the fact that Live is a much better service than the PSN and definetly worth paying for and the fact that the 360 has a much larger back catalog of games to choose from.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
No reason to ever buy a 360 elite anymore, 60gb hdd on the premium rather than 120gb is fine as games dont install anyway.

Both have HDMI ports.

The PS3 is NOT faster than the 360 however - it has only 256mb RAM to the 360's 512mb, which developers have complained about in the past, and uses a G70 GPU - basically a 7800GTX - compared to a modified x1950XTX in the 360.

The Xbox 360 GPU is undoubtably faster, and I'm pretty much an nVidia fanboy :p

CPU wise the PS3 is faster (although exotic and harder to develop for), but this is not what makes for pretty games.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Ah, excellent question, one that presents a true dilemma.

The Xbox 360 Elite was supposed to feature a revamped hardware config that would help prevent the red ring of death. In my personal experience, this has not been the case (I just got my elite back from the MS repair center). Still, the game library for the 360 is FAR superior to the other competing consoles offer. So if you're looking for stronger games, then the 360 it is. Just be warned that you run a very high risk of hardware failure, which is covered by the extended warranty but is still a major inconvenience.

As for the PS3, I've never had an issue with the system in terms of hardware or general performance. The system is rock solid, the Blu-ray player is a nice addition, and the PS Network (finally) is an excellent draw since it's completely free, unlike Xbox Live. But the game library is weak. At this point, only Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank, and MGS 4 have really and truly stood out for me. So if you're more concerned about high quality hardware and an HD disc player, then the PS3 is the obvious choice. It just depends what is most important to you.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The PS3 has 256MB 3.2GHz XDR dedicated to the CPU and 256MB of 700MHz (1400MHz effective) DDR3 dedicated to the GPU. The Xbox360 has 512MB of 700MHz (1400MHz effective) that can be divided among the GPU and CPU however the developer chooses. The Xenos GPU in the 360 is NOT a modified X1950XTX, in fact, it resembles the R600 more than the R580. The difference is, it only has 48 unified shaders capable of pixel or vertex work (does not support Geometry shader), and is clocked at 500MHz. In fact, it's actually quite a bit weaker than the X1950XT when it comes to pure pixel shading power. It's advantages include 10MB of embedded eDRAM that is used as the systems frame buffer and is able to handle low levels of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. The Xenos also supports hardware tessellation as also seen in ATi's Direct X10 cards, however the card doesn't actually support Direct X10 (due to it's lack of geometry shader support among other things). Tessellation has yet to be used in any game out, and it sounds like the Xenos won't really be able to take advantage of tessellation, much like the FX series being too slow for Direct X9 and the Geforce 6 series being too slow for FP16 and Shader Model 3.0. The RSX has more TMUs, more raw pixel shader power, and has the Cell to help take care of graphical tasks.

Honestly though, both consoles are pretty similar in power and it really just depends on who the developer is and what they can do. I have both systems and both have died once; my 360 Elite got the RRoD and my PS3's Blu-ray drive failed. My PS3 was returned exactly one week after I shipped it in the pre-paid box Sony sent me, where as my 360 wasn't returned for more than an entire month. This isn't really indicative to the quality of either Sony or Microsoft's repair service as results often vary. I like the PS3 a bit more because I don't like paying for Xbox Live and I prefer the media functionality of the PS3. The built in Wi-Fi is a bonus as well, a web browser (not amazing, but better than not having one) and it supports folding@home.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I own GTA IV on the 360 and PS3 and it seems that the 360 version runs slightly better(and it's already running at a higher resolution!), although the PS3 version suffers from less pop-in. I've played quite a few demos of multi-platform titles on both the 360 and PS3 and the difference is generally very small, but I'd say if either version looks better due to richer colors, even though the difference is quite small.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I can't believe people are saying the ps3 runs smoother than the 360, In terms of frame rate the 360 wins hands down. The only advantage that the ps3 has is texture streaming but in most cases thats not noticeable whereas the difference in frame rate is because the ps3 games stutter so much. Also Games have reduced resolution on ps3 which makes games look out of focus and the lack of AA results in lots of jagged edges. Im talking from experience having played on both and also the following review sites mention the same things.

You can check comparisons on here; http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=163939
and here http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html?tag=result;title;0

ducker19

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
The one thing that people don't think about when this question is asked. What T.V. are you going to plug the console into. If you don't have a HD T.V. or are that interest in Blu-ray. Then you would be better with the Xbox.

If you think that watching Blu ray movies are going to be something yo uare going to do a lot of then it's got to be the PS3.

I don't own either consoles. But if I was looking at them I'd have to go for the Xbox. I don't have a full HD T.V. and Blu-ray doesn't really do anything for me. As a format I can't see it last long. I think it won't be to long until digital downloads take over for movies the way they have for music.

I think if your in it for the games you can't go past the Xbox.

My experiance has been the opposite. EA's sports games, for instance, are shoddy at best on the 360 these days, especially in cut-scenes.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You do realize that both the PS3 and 360 support texture streaming, and the Xbox360 had it first with Gears of War. Multi-platform titles may run at a lower resolution on the PS3 at times, but that's generally because they are developed on the 360 first and ported to the PS3. In fact, the PS3 has more titles that run at native resolutions higher than 720p than the 360 does, but they aren't multi-platform titles. The PS3 does have the advantage of a hard drive with every unit so developers can cache data or install it, as well as a limit of 50GB of data on a dual-layer Blu-ray dsic vs. the 6.5GB available on a dual layer Xbox360 DVD.

wael32gh

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
After some reviews I think it's better to get PS3. Xbox 360 isn't a stable system because its short life and after more than three generations of Xbox 360 we still facing malfunction everyday on these systems. If I get Xbox I'll have non-stop playing time of games and all the days so maybe I'll get RROD in one month at least. On another side PS3 is rock solid system , stable , many features are included in the package , big games titles and the whole experience gets better on everyday as I saw.
PS3 would be choice.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
PS3 is better in my opinion since i like MGS4 and Killzone 2
also SOCOM 4 and its 1440p capable unlike xbox 360 but who needs 1440p right now?

I your going to buy a next gen console right now i recommend not because

Sony is working on a dual output console where one console can be outputted to two tv's (not clone) it pretends to be two console the codename for the project is playstation N0 (0 stands for degrees)

Right now specs are not released
They said their goal is to get the console to:
-at least a 3.4GHz dual core processor, 3.2GHz Quad core, or highest maximum 4.5GHz Quad Core (high clock cores required because two consoles being played in one requires alot of working in one console)
-ATI leaked projects codename Exillium X2 is a console GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 DirectX 11 Capable (Can output up to 8K Resolution with 2 cables and has 12 XDMI/HDMI Ports)
-around 2GB to 4GB of DDR3 or XVR ram (XVR is what IBM is working on with Rambus which has speeds of 500 Gigs/100 terabytes per second but this is a goal for now)
-500GB, 1TB, 2TB 7,200RPM SATA II HDD (Its already possible)
-Sony N0 (Hardware Manager it is responsible for the dual tv mode)
-Wireless N+ (This will be available once Wireless N project is fully complete)
-Sony may put in USB 3.0 ports but said they would doubt it would be needed and would cost alot of money
-Dual Slot Blu-Ray Quad Layer Burner (why burner? so you could burn data into writable disc they recommend rewritable disc)
-Firewire 800/I394b
-Media Card Reader
-at least 750w but they suggest 1000W to 1200W PSU
-PS2 Hardware Integrated (is disabled when PS2 Mode is turned off)
-PhysX 128MB/256MB GDDR3/4 PCIe Card
-Sony/Creative -0(degrees) XDAI/HDMI Sound

Remember they are working on it its just a goal and said they will be releasing in around Q3-Q4 2009/Q1-Q2 2010

This is leaked info so it is not fully expected since it could be not being developed

Blu-ray Quad Layer is 200GB

XDAI is extreme defintion audio interface running at full speed of up to

Sony has ask every game manufacterer to make games that are multiplatform have higher resolution on their system (They dont like the fact that every game has to be equal to xbox 360 contents 6.5GB vs 50Gb, 100gb, and 200gb use all its space!)

PlayStation N0 is capable of up to 4 maximum displays connected with 16 XDMI/HDMI cables

Sony has acquired Havok FX for use in PlayStation N0 but Havok has no news if they are still developing it

XDMI is higher uncompressed data transfer interface and clock of 800MHZ to 1200MHz speed sufficient for 4K resolution and this interface is capable of dual connect for two cables that has power of 8K resolution maximum. XDMI has 32 pins and is capable of being connected to an HDMI cable

Sony has acquired AGEIA/NVIDIA for PhysX on PlayStation N0

PlayStation Network is adding PlayStation Connect as its multiplayer server name

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

b7aw4n.jpg

xnio

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Both consoles are great, graphics are beautiful, games will come almost are the same for both, PS3 has good exclusive games (MGS4. LBP, KillZone 2, Resistance 2) like 360 too (Gears of War, Fable II), but the reason that I bougth a PS3 was it hasn´t RROD, I got a excellent BR Player, when Im not playing I use it like a mp3 player, PSN is free and good. Remember only this thing, If you have a 360 and get RROD, you will be in a Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.