SORRY... But I seem to be an IDIOT

I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to create
one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I want to do is
download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on the admin account and
then have those programs, once installed also apply to the limited accounts.
I just don't see how to do that.

Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts doesnt
work.

thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking / etc....
6 answers Last reply
More about sorry idiot

    sharkhax wrote:
    > I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to
    > create one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I
    > want to do is download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on
    > the admin account and then have those programs, once installed also
    > apply to the limited accounts. I just don't see how to do that.
    >
    > Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts
    > doesnt work.
    >

    > thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking /
    > etc....

    This is a common problem when installing programs that were not programmed
    for multi-user environments like XP.

    The ability for all users to access an installed program is a function of
    the programs installation and not necessarily XP. If a programs installation
    recognizes a multi-user environment, such as XP, it should give you the
    option of selecting all users or single user during installation. Most newer
    programs that are XP compatible will give you this option. If it does not
    have this feature, you have several options.

    You can try to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow the
    shortcut to appear on everyones Desktop.

    You can also use the Run As feature of XP by right clicking the executable
    file for the program and select the Run As item and set the user in the
    "Following User" section.

    HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator in
    Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780

    You can re-install the program, while logged on to the other user accounts,
    to the same folder where the program was originally installed.

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    This article may also be applicable.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    I'm pretty sure I get all this..

    But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account. What
    is a "power users" group?

    sharkhax wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure I get all this..
    >
    > But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account.
    > What is a "power users" group?

    Something you won't have if you have Windows XP HOME and not Windows XP
    Professional.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    sharkhax wrote:
    > I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to create
    > one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I want to do is
    > download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on the admin account and
    > then have those programs, once installed also apply to the limited accounts.
    > I just don't see how to do that.
    >
    > Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts doesnt
    > work.
    >

    > thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking / etc....

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was purportedly intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was very poorly
    coded. Quite simply, the installation routine for this application
    doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the
    application tries to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the
    registry. Quite often, you can make this software available to other
    users by _copying_ the Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts
    from the user profile from which the software was installed in the
    corresponding folders in the user profile(s) in which you'd like the
    software to be accessible. If the application is something that
    can/should be made available to all current and future users, copying
    the shortcuts into the corresponding locations of the All Users profile
    will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    Ultimately, though, you may need to go back to the applications'
    vendor and ask for a patch to make the program compatible with a more
    secure OS. If the vendor refuses, take your business elsewhere.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    See if this helps explain things:
    http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    sharkhax wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure I get all this..
    >
    > But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account.
    > What is a "power users" group?

    You will need to temporarily assign administrator rights to the limited
    account. Install the program and then assign the account back to a limited
    account. The should link all of the appropriate shortcuts and registry
    entries to that account.
    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP