SORRY... But I seem to be an IDIOT

I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to create
one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I want to do is
download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on the admin account and
then have those programs, once installed also apply to the limited accounts.
I just don't see how to do that.

Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts doesnt
work.

thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking / etc....

sharkhax wrote:
> I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to
> create one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I
> want to do is download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on
> the admin account and then have those programs, once installed also
> apply to the limited accounts. I just don't see how to do that.
>
> Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts
> doesnt work.
>

> thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking /
> etc....

This is a common problem when installing programs that were not programmed
for multi-user environments like XP.

The ability for all users to access an installed program is a function of
the programs installation and not necessarily XP. If a programs installation
recognizes a multi-user environment, such as XP, it should give you the
option of selecting all users or single user during installation. Most newer
programs that are XP compatible will give you this option. If it does not
have this feature, you have several options.

You can try to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow the
shortcut to appear on everyones Desktop.

You can also use the Run As feature of XP by right clicking the executable
file for the program and select the Run As item and set the user in the
"Following User" section.

HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator in
Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780

You can re-install the program, while logged on to the other user accounts,
to the same folder where the program was originally installed.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

This article may also be applicable.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

I'm pretty sure I get all this..

But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account. What
is a "power users" group?

sharkhax wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I get all this..
>
> But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account.
> What is a "power users" group?

Something you won't have if you have Windows XP HOME and not Windows XP
Professional.

--
<- Shenan ->

sharkhax wrote:
> I'm still fiddling with new User accounts and all that. I intend to create
> one admin and the rest will be limited accounts. But what I want to do is
> download programs like .... trillian or Shareaza on the admin account and
> then have those programs, once installed also apply to the limited accounts.
> I just don't see how to do that.
>
> Also trying to download and install these things on limited accounts doesnt
> work.
>

> thanks in advance for the help / critisizm / riddiculing / hacking / etc....

This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
if it was purportedly intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was very poorly
coded. Quite simply, the installation routine for this application
doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the
application tries to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the
registry. Quite often, you can make this software available to other
users by _copying_ the Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts
from the user profile from which the software was installed in the
corresponding folders in the user profile(s) in which you'd like the
software to be accessible. If the application is something that
can/should be made available to all current and future users, copying
the shortcuts into the corresponding locations of the All Users profile
will do the trick.

For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
replace the application with one that was properly designed
specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

Ultimately, though, you may need to go back to the applications'
vendor and ask for a patch to make the program compatible with a more
secure OS. If the vendor refuses, take your business elsewhere.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

See if this helps explain things:
http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

sharkhax wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I get all this..
>
> But. I still can't install programs when on a limited user account.
> What is a "power users" group?

You will need to temporarily assign administrator rights to the limited
account. Install the program and then assign the account back to a limited
account. The should link all of the appropriate shortcuts and registry
entries to that account.
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP