Is there anything good about windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Seeing this forum category, I get the impression that there is nothing good about windows 7.

I mean, im using it myself and I am :love: it , (Ok.... with exception to video drivers crashing every 20 minutes during gameplay)

But, am I alone to love it or what??? :??:

Solution
I concur with everyone here: 7 is a great OS. It is by far the best OS MS has released, at least is beta, RC1 form, etc... We'll stil have to see how it looks when it comes out in RTM, but I'm not seeing any reason to believe that much will change. It is Vista polished, but then again, I never found Vista to be a bad OS either. Sure, in comparison to XP both are resource hogs, especially VIsta, but for the average PC user, I don't think it has mattered much. I understand from a gamers point of view that XP is the best OS for the time being, but like anything involving technology, something, possibily W7 after awhile will replace XP as the primary OS for gamers.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Plenty of goods things about Windows 7 - but you know some people dont like change and will stick with Vista & XP. In reality Windows 7 is more or less Vista SP2, just this time round MS spent more time stream lining the code for better performance,

I have Vista 64 - and with a decent spec machine its more than capable of what I want it to do. Ok admittedly UAC can be a right pain - but then when XP launched ppl griped about some of the features

deeky

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Give or take, 7 is a better system overal since some of Vista failures were addressed. Faster load time, better overal performance, a lil less bichy
Down sides: Newer OS less drivers and support software ready, change(mmm remind you of anything?)

Personally I like 7 more then vista but less then XP, although somethings I'm not used to yet and theres a lack of programs support for 7 which will be fixed in the long term. Vista will do fine for now, 7's prices might drop so could wait it out when theres more support.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Im using 7 more and more, and finding that programs that are not supposed to work in 64 bit(any video converter, freespace) work, and everything is uper fast, actually debating whether i want to keep xp since it keeps erasing my restore points in 7

deeky

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure 64 bit 7 was designed to be backwards compatible with alot of 32bit programs hence in task manager shows *32 next to programs for 32bits, just not everything works on 7 yet is my point.
flycap93, can I get your specs? I got fsx installed on my 7, runs fine. Never tried it on xp tho. Requirements for fsx and windows xp are similar but windows 7 specs are much higher so this could be the problem?

FSX requirements from microsoft.com:
Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
Processor: 1.0 Ghz
RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
Hard Drive: 14GB
Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible

XP requirements from microsoft.com:
• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
• CD-ROM or DVD drive
• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Windows 7 requirements from microsoft.com:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Talk about 64 bit, I have to admit it is very nice to find drivers for it. It used to be a pain for xp64 when it came out.

Also I like how windows 7 (as does vista) try to be user friendly, It makes using the computer feel easier to use, but i've always preffered xp. It just had a feel of simplicity, and it felt more techy to use. That feeling is kind of gone in windows 7. They try to make something complex simple to use. Good they succeeded, for the average user. I just liked the techy feel of XP.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Well I haven't seen anything wrong with moving to Win 7 (yet). Most of what you could do with XP you could also do with Win 7, so if you are happy and content with XP, there is no immediate need to migrate to Win 7. Though the looming End of Support and few hundred patches and constantly evolving malware might change your mind about XP.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

What's so bad about XP? Pre-SP1, XP was crashy as hell, but with SP2 and later, it's pretty darn stable. Don't over half the internet-connected computers in the world run on XP?

Personally, I think Vista is alright. We have Home Premium on our family computer (a Dell), and while there are some features I like a lot (improved power management, better built-in drivers, better Solitaire :), etc.), it's also been kinda wonky; I can't get SP2 to install for the life of me.

I used the Windows 7 Beta for a couple months early this year, and I was really impressed. Even though it was a beta, it felt like a finished product. Performance seemed to be on par with XP, even on my relatively anemic hardware, the user interface is worlds better than XP, and I didn't have any program compatibility problems.

Hopefully, things like DX11 and GPU-accelerated computing will come to fruition under Win7. XP had a good run, but after 8+ years, it's time for something new.

I concur with everyone here: 7 is a great OS. It is by far the best OS MS has released, at least is beta, RC1 form, etc... We'll stil have to see how it looks when it comes out in RTM, but I'm not seeing any reason to believe that much will change. It is Vista polished, but then again, I never found Vista to be a bad OS either. Sure, in comparison to XP both are resource hogs, especially VIsta, but for the average PC user, I don't think it has mattered much. I understand from a gamers point of view that XP is the best OS for the time being, but like anything involving technology, something, possibily W7 after awhile will replace XP as the primary OS for gamers.

Solution

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Well from a gamers point of view XP will be the best, unless you crave for DX10. Games like crysis, farcry2, gears of war, Halo 2 and a bunch of others have support for DX10. If you can use it, in games like far cry 2 it gives a performance boost, (a very big one actually like 15 FPS more at same settings). For DX10 needs win7 is the best.

Basically windows 7 is what windows vista was supposed to be.

I'm puzzled by this too. W2K was a great operating system, but XP was even better IMHO. And since it was followed by an OS which (for reasons right or wrong) wasn't embraced by the marketplace, XP has had a longer run on more machines than probably any other OS in history.

It's a bit too early to award "classic" status to Windows 7 yet, but it certainly seems to be headed down that path...

Status
Not open for further replies.